Changes to made to stacks in 10.5.1?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xenotaku, Nov 6, 2007.

1. xenotaku macrumors regular

What are the changes that people want to see be made to stacks in the next release?

The two biggest things that irritate me is:
    Lack of ability to go deeper into the stacked folders, in the stack. It should do it all in the stack, sending me back to finder is counter-intuitive.

The jump of a stack when the magnification of the dock is released by moving your mouse from the stack icon to the actual stack. (for those that use magnification I guess)

Do you think these two issue will be addressed? What issues do you want to see implemented?

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

The ability to allow you to pick a DEFAULT Icon for particular stacks - rather than grabbing the Icon from the first item in that stack.

When you add apps, or download files, the stacks automatically change icons - which slows down recognition time for them. (at least for me)

And yeah, I want back the multiple layer access that I had in Tiger. Right-Click, and delve into whatever I wanted. I miss that feature.

3. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Ya know, I dislike that too. But when you think about it, the icon acts just the top item of a stack. I'm sure Apple put much thought into it. That being said, I don't use 'em. I actually like Vista's implementation of the "live folder" icon better. But it's not a stack... Anyways, I created aliases for my favorite folders and put them where stacks are supposed to be. I did lose some functionality though, as I can't drag a file into one of those folders now without pressing the space bar :cool:

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

My work-around for the icon bit (as lame as it may be) was to sort my application stack by name. Then I renamed address book to aaaddress book, to push it above all other apps I had (alphabetically).

I right-clicked on aaaddress book, and in the info pane, I cut the icon, and pasted the Tiger "Applications folder" icon.

Unfortunately, this does not seem to work consistently for the downloads stack. Meh, at least I can find my apps stack a little faster.

5. Ekim Neems macrumors member

The ability to use a smart folder/saved search as a stack. And also the things mentioned above: hierarchal folders, and default icon.

6. xenotaku thread starter macrumors regular

the icon thing really bothered me at first, but I'm sorta used to it. I almost assume that stacks icon for apps is supposed to be the address book icon! :p

Now that I think about it, it is annoying though...I wish it was just a static Downloads/Apps/Docs/etc icon.

7. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

The problem with stacks is that somehow, between the time Leopard was first demo'd at WWDC 06 and now, Apple f'd up the original implementation of it big time.

The original 06 demo of stacks wasn't tied to dragging a folder to the dock as it is now. Originally, you could select any group of documents and/or applications and drag them to the dock and a "stack" was created. That's an incredibly useful function, but apparently, it never made it to the release version. If you drag a group of documents to the dock in Leopard, it behaves as before with all of your individual documents spread out horizontally, each occupying it's own real estate on the dock. Adios dock space and hello to major clutter on the dock

What Apple needs to do is leave folder behavior in the dock exactly as it was before and implement (create) a stack only when a the user selects and drags a group of documents/apps/folders to the dock. The way stacks hijacks folder behavior in the dock now is absolute, mind-boggling garbage.

Too bad it isn't even close to the way it was originally demonstrated. :mad:

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I want to see hierarchical folders work in Stacks (as I'm sure most of us do), and I want Quicklook to work in Stacks. Why this isn't the case is beyond me. Spring folders should also activate the Stack rather than launch a new Finder window.

9. stewacide macrumors regular

Yeah, this is driving me nuts / I can't imagine how Apple let it slip through. The magnification should clearly 'hold' while you're over the stack.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I completely agree. It's so annoying now that I don't even use Stacks for any other folder than my Downloads.

The only way to do it now is the move the apps or their aliases to a folder and drag that to the dock. Whaalaa you get a stack. Apparently they've reduced that functionality to only folders which is logical but not very user friendly.

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I didn't know that. You're right, that would have been useful. As it stands, Stacks destroys the functionality of the Dock for me. I just want to be able to turn it off.

12. bupsy macrumors newbie

this feels like an obvious one and would be very useful especially for those of us using their apps folder as a stack.

The ability to resize icons when in grid view to allow for more space!

and also the ability to choose what i want to be a stack and what i want to just be a folder

13. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

1) Hierarchical menus again.

2) Trash Stack. The more I think about it the more I think it should have been obvious. I hate opening the Trash folder in the Finder, and a Stack would let me see the contents and even drag something out of it. Of course, this Stack would keep the Trash icon at all times. Today I actually clicked the Trash icon expecting a Stack even though I knew there wasn't one.

3) The ability to drag multiple files across multiple folders to the Dock to create a single Stack without moving the files in the Finder. Regular folders will always show the Folder icon with the contents behind it while custom Stacks will have just the icons of the contents.

14. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

"2) Trash Stack."

That is a REALLY GOOD IDEA!

Seriously. I agree with 1 and 3 as well, just surprised Apple didn't make #2... Well, they did, just not the one we wanted. :)

15. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

4) Spring-loaded Stacks. That is, instead of popping up a Finder window in an inconvenient (to me, at least) place, the Stack should open and the folders in the Stack should be drag-n-drop-able.

16. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Stacks to me seems like one of the features that got pushed aside when the devs went to work on the iPhone.

I'm hoping they can dedicate some time to make some decent changes like:

- list view
    - quicklook while viewing a stack
    - custom stack icon (w/o having to hack your way around it)
    - spring loaded into the stack

-Kevin

17. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Yes yes.

I've sent so many feedbacks to Apple over the past couple days about Leopard, as should you all.