Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
Hello to all you beta testers,

I've been poking around the forum (with limited success) attempting to ascertain whether there have been any significant improvements to mail in iOS 9? In particular, I am wondering (desperately hoping!) that Apple has finally added true message threading into the mix...the current threading functionality in iOS 8 leaves much to be desired.

Any and all input would be most welcome!

Thanks.

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
Notificaitons now have actions inline with your two swipe options. Cosmetic stuff on the swipe gestures. Attachments from iCloud Drive and third party document providers.

Not quite sure what you mean by "true" message threading...

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
Notificaitons now have actions inline with your two swipe options. Cosmetic stuff on the swipe gestures. Attachments from iCloud Drive and third party document providers.

Not quite sure what you mean by "true" message threading...
Apologies - my original post was not particularly clear. By message threading, I mean that when threading is enabled, that all incoming and sent messages are grouped in the same message thread within your inbox - so that it appears like a conversation. Apple's threading in iOS 8 is strange, in that it usually only groups incoming messages together...and typically neglects to include the outgoing ones...

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
Apologies - my original post was not particularly clear. By message threading, I mean that when threading is enabled, that all incoming and sent messages are grouped in the same message thread within your inbox - so that it appears like a conversation. Apple's threading in iOS 8 is strange, in that it usually only groups incoming messages together...and typically neglects to include the outgoing ones...
It is unchanged per my test. Just incoming messages.

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
Bugger - it looks lie Outlook shall live on in my dock!
Thank you!
Just found that you can show also your sent messages in the threaded view by selecting "More > Show Related Messages" on a particular thread. But there is no option to make this behaviour as default.

Reactions: stusgt67

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
Just found that you can show also your sent messages in the threaded view by selecting "More > Show Related Messages" on a particular thread. But there is no option to make this behaviour as default.
Ah yes - exactly the same in iOS 8.4...absolutely infuriating! I've always been baffled as to why there is no toggle to leave this on!

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
Ah yes - exactly the same in iOS 8.4...absolutely infuriating! I've always been baffled as to why there is no toggle to leave this on!
Ironically, the OSX one has a toggle for it. I will file a feedback on this when I am free.

Rusty33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Australia
Ironically, the OSX one has a toggle for it. I will file a feedback on this when I am free.
Thanks for that, and for your advice Trahearne! It is so odd that this feature operates flawlessly in Mail on OSX (which I use daily), and not on iOS.

I've yet to discover the logic behind this one...

Trahearne

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
iOS Mail does not hide quotes in the mail, while OSX Mail does. I assume the logic behind is "you can see your original message being replied to in the incoming message anyway".

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
True but if I want to see what I sent out 2-3 replies ago? That's a lot of scrolling down to find it. 3rd party mail apps like Gmail, Outlook, Cloudmagic etc do it right- you click on the message and go into another submenu where each message in and out is clickable and expandable to view. All Apple has to do since they already have this somewhat for all of the incoming messages in a convo is aggregate the sent messages into that list.

The few weird quirks like this are why people seek 3rd party mail apps. Now that Apple mail does outgoing file attachments finally, it is small quirks left like this that make people still seek 3rd party apps (for the most part).

Suspended
Dec 17, 2013
Is Markup new?

I know it's been in OS X a year or so, but I only just found it in Mail on iOS when viewing a PDF. Frustratingly, it seems my iPad mini gets all the tools, including drawing, but it doesn't get the drawing tool within Notes.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Is Markup new?

I know it's been in OS X a year or so, but I only just found it in Mail on iOS when viewing a PDF. Frustratingly, it seems my iPad mini gets all the tools, including drawing, but it doesn't get the drawing tool within Notes.

Not 100% sure but yeah I think it's new to iOS 9.

As for notes. You should have the drawing tool. Did you upgrade your notes to the iOS 9 version? It uses old noted until you upgrade it (should have been prompted or see a upgrade button)

Suspended
Dec 17, 2013
Not 100% sure but yeah I think it's new to iOS 9.

As for notes. You should have the drawing tool. Did you upgrade your notes to the iOS 9 version? It uses old noted until you upgrade it (should have been prompted or see a upgrade button)

Yeah, I'm fully up-to-date and upgraded. It's a limitation of A5 devices - no drawing within Notes. But apparently drawing within Mail is available :/

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I'm not sure that's entirely what he meant. I like that mail is getting there but it's still way behind its competitors.

I would like a better looking webmail too for use at work where we have Windows PC's not Mac's. Mail looks great on a Mac but terrible on a PC.
Um, this is the iOS 9 forum, and about the built-in Mail app, right? Not the webmail or Apple Mail forum. The OP posted from Down Under, and a couple of hours later Macworld posted that linked-to opinion piece from who-knows-where. Yup, I think I'm covered.

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
Um, this is the iOS 9 forum, and about the built-in Mail app, right? Not the webmail or Apple Mail forum. The OP posted from Down Under, and a couple of hours later Macworld posted that linked-to opinion piece from who-knows-where. Yup, I think I'm covered.

Actually you're not. He mentioned the conversation view - which isn't covered at all in the link provided, hence it not being exactly what he was talking about.

And I don't think it's entirely inappropriate, given the topic, to make note that along with Mail being improved on iOS to similar standards that other providers have enjoyed for a while now, that the web-access version also has room for improvement on a similar level.

hArrisburger

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2013
I have switched to the iOS Outlook App because of Mail shortcomings. We have gone in circles on IMAP Idle and Gmail. But I could tolerate a 15 minute fetch period if they brought "Focused" or "Important" Email filters to the app. Of both Outlook and Gmail do it, so can Apple. Also, Dropbox, Google Drive, and other Cloud Sharing integration make the Outlook App pretty slick to use.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Actually you're not. He mentioned the conversation view - which isn't covered at all in the link provided, hence it not being exactly what he was talking about.

And I don't think it's entirely inappropriate, given the topic, to make note that along with Mail being improved on iOS to similar standards that other providers have enjoyed for a while now, that the web-access version also has room for improvement on a similar level.
Actually I am, and please stop pestering me about this and cluttering up this thread - quoted, from the first sentence of the first post: "attempting to ascertain whether there have been any significant improvements to mail in iOS 9?" All I did was post a link offering some input directly addressing that point - iOS 9 isn't finished. I am.

coffeemadmanUK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2012
United Kingdom
Actually I am, and please stop pestering me about this and cluttering up this thread - quoted, from the first sentence of the first post: "attempting to ascertain whether there have been any significant improvements to mail in iOS 9?" All I did was post a link offering some input directly addressing that point - iOS 9 isn't finished. I am.

Ah - the joys of taking things out of context. The very next sentence said "in particular...", which is why I said it wasn't 'exactly' what he meant - not totally incorrect, but not exactly.

Now. Now, we're done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.