Changes to printer settings not being remembered

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by blueskyredkite, Oct 3, 2007.

1. blueskyredkite macrumors member

blueskyredkite

We've a Sharp AR-350N printer (the N stands for network). AFAICT from Sharp, and the dealer from whom we purchased the printer, the driver for this is the same as the one for the AR-280, AR-450 and all those numbered in between. The trailing letter (N in this case) denotes network or not or some other feature. The driver shows all possible permutation of features: Combination of input paper trays, duplex unit, by-pass tray, mail-bin stacker, finisher, etc.

The problem I'm having is this: It's not possible to have all features, so I deselect those we don't have, and select those we do, but my iMac does not remember this. When I go back in to check the printer, the original settings - which do not match what I have - are selected again. This means I'm not able to print double-sided, or staple the output.

Where does OS X store the local part of the settings, so it knows which features in the PPD it can use?

I really appreciate any help you can give with this because it's been 'broken' for quite some time and I keep coming back to it and I'm not able to progress.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Select the Presets: pop-up File > Print dialog box.

3. blueskyredkite thread starter macrumors member

blueskyredkite

That doesn't help, because according to my options from the print dialogue box, the features I want are not available.

The problem is with the System Preferences -> Printer & Fax settings. Selecting the printer, then Printer Setup, and setting what features my printer has does not 'stick'.

What I'm looking for is something like a '.plist' for the printer that I can, perhaps, hand edit to force the featurs/functions I want.