Changes to the OS if I move my hd from MBP to iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by hallaisen, Jan 2, 2012.

1. hallaisen macrumors regular

Hi,

I just moved the SSD hard drive I had in my Macbook Pro to my iMac. I didn't format the hard drive or make any changes to it before doing so. The first time I booted up it had some issues and everything wasn't working perfectly, but it seemed to download drivers and when I restarted most things were ok. It does still seem to search for missing hardware when it boots up, and once I get into the OS I get an error message saying this mac does not have a backlit keyboard. Is there any way I can let the OS know the hard drive is now in an iMac and not a MBP so that everything works flawlessly, or am I better of formatting the HD? I'm using Lion.

Cheers.

2. hallaisen thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Also, I took the original iMac hd out and turned it into an external hd without formatting it. Is there any way I can boot up from it if I want to?

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Everything should be fine since you re-booted and the computer downloaded things it needed.

I once took a backup from a 2008 Mac Pro and restored it onto a 2008 iMac. Upon rebooting, it did the same thing, got a warning that the OS wasn't compatible with this Mac. The computer rebooted, downloaded some stuff and was fine. I am using that version to this day on my MacBooks.

Run the OS X update and see what happens as far as the errors.