Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I would like to see:

An LED backlit 1680x1050 screen
A case redesign (to include some of the MacBook's innovations, such as magnets instead of latches to keep the lid shut, user-replacable Hard drive, feet that dont fall off etc.)
Santa Rosa
Up to 4GB RAM
A 13.3" MacBook Pro would be nice too... but quite unlikely.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I think it's kinda leaning towards HD instead of BR. I'm not sure on the exact specifications. But yeah, isn't Apple on the B.O.D. for one of those? wouldn't they more likely put in the one that they're trying to sell.

:confused: HD DVD's going nowhere fast...which was pretty much a sure thing since before either was released. It's inferior technology and has less industry backing. While I'd rather wait for a single standard, if I was buying one, Blu Ray is the obvious choice.

On other notebooks right now it seems to add around $500...so hopefully Apple will let us use external drives to watch Blu Ray movies later on (since it kind of makes sense to buy an external drive in a few years for $100-200 than spending $500 on one now).

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
But yeah, isn't Apple on the B.O.D. for one of those? wouldn't they more likely put in the one that they're trying to sell.

Apple are on the Board of Directors for Blu-Ray. There have also been rumors that Apple are in talks with Sony about putting iPod-ready videos on Blu-ray movie discs. And of course Microsoft are behind HD DVD.
Apple are much more likely to add Blu-Ray support than HD DVD.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Apple are on the Board of Directors for Blu-Ray. There have also been rumors that Apple are in talks with Sony about putting iPod-ready videos on Blu-ray movie discs. And of course Microsoft are behind HD DVD.
Apple are much more likely to add Blu-Ray support than HD DVD.

Which is really funny because as far as i know you can make HD-DVD movies from your Mac using the HD-9 spec. But nothing for Blu-Ray from Apple.

I would like to see a fingerprint reader on the newer mbp's.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
Well I'm hoping to get a 15.4'' Centrino Pro MBP with these specs:

2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
4GB Ram
200GB 7200rpm HD (Toshiba just started shipping them this past week)
LED Display
Nvidia 8M GPU

If I can get like 3 hours of battery life with this, I'll be happy. If I need to get 6 hours, I'll use my iBook.

Those are the exact specs i would like as well.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
2.4GHz C2D
Up to 4GB Ram
LED Backlit Display (1680x1050 in the 15.4" / 1900x1200 in the 17")
DX10 Capable GPU (either nVidia or ATI is fine with me)
Blu-Ray w/ Lightscribe
160GB @ 7200RPM Drive
Integrated media card reader (at least for SD cards)

Chromako

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2007
The Wired
Hmm... With some realism,
7200 rpm drive option
user replaceable HDD, maybe even the CPU?
ESATA port
54mm(is that it?) Expresscard slot (not the silly little ones)
Modem (I'd still like it back)
Blu-Ray Drive
LED Backlit LCD
WiFi Antenna Port (for higher gain antennae)
Port-Replicator Port (pleeeeease, Apple?)
Santa Rosa
2000 Series ATI Graphics, maybe with two DVI ports?
Removable Optical Drive, for a second battery or something
4GB Memory Capacity
1650x1080pixels
Fingerprint Reader

I can dream, right?

drumforfun19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
Modem (I'd still like it back)

Let it go dude... just let em go.

EDIT* I want that damn sleep light to stay at one level of brightness. I hate it when I'm trying to sleep and that thing goes from dim to bright, to dim, to bright... to dim, to bright. it's anoying.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I'd like a modem back too. Right now I have broadband, but that may not always be the case (and in fact I only switched to it because it was cheaper than dial-up). I'm not made of money.

RANT: I'm getting tired of people referring to it as a "LED display" or "LED screen". It is neither of those. It's an LCD with LED BACKLIGHTING instead of a cold compact florescent light.

drumforfun19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
I'd like a modem back too. Right now I have broadband, but that may not always be the case (and in fact I only switched to it because it was cheaper than dial-up). I'm not made of money.

RANT: I'm getting tired of people referring to it as a "LED display" or "LED screen". It is neither of those. It's an LCD with LED BACKLIGHTING instead of a cold compact florescent light.

Wow, I didn't realize this many people wanted modems... I HATE those things so much. haha. They offer external modems!

so could they be LED LCD's?

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
Lower price/cost of entry. As eluded to earlier, you can get pretty solid HP or Toshiba models of that caliber for almost a third of the price. My sister just got a 15" Toshiba that blows my 3 year old 17" Toshiba out of the water by leaps and bounds (that's my only comparison, I don't have her specs on hand, but I bought my initial one at the time as one for graphics applications), and after a rebate it's like $750.

High price is the one thing that's kept me from switching to a Mac sooner (if at all now, due to other expenditures). If it weren't for that, I'd have been a Mac user a long time ago.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
I'd like them to include access to a VIP Online Apple Store that never goes offline.:D

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Wow, I didn't realize this many people wanted modems... I HATE those things so much. haha. They offer external modems!

Well I don't LIKE them, but tons of people use dial-up. I would be if not that it would cost me more to have a phone line + dial-up than it does for just broadband.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004

There. I fixed mine. I know there is a difference, and I understand that difference. I'm just lazy. :D

The Biometric finger scanner would be cool, too.... or integrate retinal-scanning into the current iSight. :p
Additionally, I'd like an ExpressCard/34 TV Tuner (or one built-in) - Maybe elgato can help us out on this one.
As for the modem, wouldn't mind them including the USB modem in the box, though in general, people are using them less and less as they're getting broadband in their homes and hotels are getting better about offering ethernet/wi-fi. I do understand, though, about being unable to connect via anything other than dial-up. At my last place of residence, it was dial-up or nothing (or satellite, but that's a lot).

amblito

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2007
2GB RAM as standard
Santa Rosa platform
LED backlighting
Better speakers
Better GPU
A remote and power supply that matches the design of the laptop
A new case design is overdue but I'd expect a magnetic latch at the least

A 9 cell battery that gives me nearly 5 hours battery life like I have on my works Dell Inspiron 9400 would be nice but might not fit in the case - so how about as an external option then?

drumforfun19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
I think now that they did an "upgrade" on the macbook that the SR in the MBP's is soon to come! At least I hope... COME ON JUNE!!!

amblito

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2007
I think now that they did an "upgrade" on the macbook that the SR in the MBP's is soon to come! At least I hope... COME ON JUNE!!!

There has to be an update soon, it wouldn't make sense for Apple to have the MB and MBP so similarly specced - like I've said in another thread, the basic MBP is £520 more than the middle white MB and for that you get a 15" screen, a better GPU, aluminium casing and a backlit keyboard - this represents poor value for money.

drumforfun19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
There has to be an update soon, it wouldn't make sense for Apple to have the MB and MBP so similarly specced - like I've said in another thread, the basic MBP is £520 more than the middle white MB and for that you get a 15" screen, a better GPU, aluminium casing and a backlit keyboard - this represents poor value for money.

That's what I'm saying. By the time I get ready to upgrade my MBP they'll have some sweet spec's to them. And some of these things that people want to see in future MBP's will be done!... eventually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.