Changing a file's icon

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I've created an icon from scratch with Icon Composer and saved it (as a .icns file). However, I can't figure out how to change a file's icon so that it has the icon I just created it. The copy/paste method described in Mac help doesn't work, as it copies the .icns file's icon, instead of the icon itself. The .icns file's icon is a standard preview document icon, with the letters "icns" at the bottom. If it matters, the file I'm trying to use this icon with is an AppleScript application that I wrote and want to put in my dock. Does anyone know how to do this?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Get Info on both of them. Click on the icon you want to copy over. It will get a blue outline. Copy (Cmd+C) it. Click on the to-be-replaced icon. Paste it.

To get original back: Click on the icon in the Get Info window and press delete.

Comment

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Mechcozmo said:
To get original back: Click on the icon in the Get Info window and press delete.
Hee, funny, I didn't know how to get the original icon back-- a really simple and logical solution now that I see it. Then again, I've never tried to get the original icons back... haha. Thanks, mechozmo!

Comment

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Well, I figured out how to do it in a really roundabout way. AppleScript applications aren't like regular apps, as they're not directories, they are in fact files. Otherwise I could have copied the icon into the Resources folder of the application. The way I solved the problem is by copying the icon into the resource folder of another application, which changed that application's icon to the one I created. I then used the copy/paste method to change the icon of the AppleScript. Finally I switched the icon of the first application back to what it was originally. Sort of a complicated way to do it, but it worked fine.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.