Changing a hard drive and RAM on early 2008 Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kentryadamscrna, Mar 18, 2012.

1. kentryadamscrna macrumors newbie

I have a few questions about changing out my hard drive and my RAM on my early 2008 15 inch Macbook Pro. I recently ordered these three items.

4.0GB PC-5300 DDR2 667MHz SO-DIMM 200 Pin Memory Upgrade Module for MacBook(Late 2007/Early 2008, MacBook Pro(Mid/Late 2007, Early 2008), and iMac (Late 2007) systems with Core 2 Duo Santa Rosa or Penryn processor.

2.0GB PC-5300 DDR2 667MHz SO-DIMM 200 Pin Memory Upgrade Module for all MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac Intel, and Mac mini Models with Core 2 Duo processor.

DIY Upgrade Bundle: 1.0TB WD Scorpio Blue 5400RPM 2.5" SATA HD 8MB Cache, OWC Express USB 2.0 Kit + Includes OWC 5 Piece Tool Kit.

My questions are:

1. Should I use carbon copy cloner to clone the external 1tb HD prior to installing it?

2. Once its installed after its cloned, will it boot up as the original Hard drive did?

3. Is there a better option than no. 1?

4. Would time Machine do the same thing as carbon copy cloner?

5. Will I need to install any operating system disc, like snow leopard or lion or would creating a clone of the new hard drive effectively take care of that step.

6. When Changing out the RAM, are there any other steps involved with the installation, other than the mechanical removal and replacement with the new RAM?

Thanks

KA

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

1) You can use CCC, but it's one of a couple options you have.
    2) Yes.
    3) Better is subjective. CCC works just fine.
    4) No.
    5) Not if you use CCC.
    6) Changing the RAM is very easy. Seems like you've got the right idea.

3. Ubele macrumors 6502a

I presume you've downloaded the hard-drive and RAM replacement instructions. I did this a few years ago, with the same model MBP. I was an electronic technician when I was in college many years ago, and I found the drive replacement to be somewhat nerve-racking, but it all worked out. There are a zillion little screws that you'll need to remove, and what I did was to Scotch-tape them to the associated steps on the instruction sheets. Then when I put my MBP back together, I just reversed the steps and peeled off the screws from the tape as I needed them.

Let us know how the upgrade goes. My 320 GB drive is almost full, and my 2008 is showing its age with some apps. I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade to a bigger drive and hang onto it for another year or two (the cheapest solution), put in a 240 GB SSD and off-load some of the content to an external drive (more expensive, but will give my MBP a speed boost), or not put any more money into it, buy a new Mac when the ones with the new processors come out, and sell my old MBP.

4. kentryadamscrna thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I researched a lot of topics with regards to this subject and I believe I got a good handle on what I need to do. I probably watched about 10 youtube videos and read 5 different topics on MacRumors. I had a few additional questions that were not covered in a lot of those forums.

I am kinda in the same boat as you in buying a new one or upgrading my old one. I had a Mac technician at the apple store talk me into upgrading my old one, rather than buying a new one. I also have kids that I can give this old one to, once I am ready to buy a new one. I am wanting to get about 2 more years out of this one and then upgrade to a new one.

Thanks for the responses.

KA