Changing a systems broadcasted bonjour icon

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Apocrathia, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

I have a mac mini running leopard server that is gong to be replacing an ubuntu server machine that sits in my closet. the ubuntu machine is great because i can configure avahi to broadcast itself as an xserve and it shows up in finder as a server. i have no idea how to change the broadcasted system type in osx though. sure it's a little gimmicky, but i suppose i just enjoy seeing the little xserve icon in my sidebar.
    i know that the icons are located in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/ and i could just rename the xserve icon to the macmini icon, but then every mac mini on my network would show up as an xserve.
    i know this seems pointless, but it's just one of those things that i want to know how it works.

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Anyone know anything about this?

I have a QNAP NAS that shows up with the generic apple monitor icon and I want it to broadcast the xserve icon or if at all possible a custom icon. I feel like the custom icon thing is going to be a no go but I figure I can at least edit the bonjour config on the NAS to broadcast with model=Xserve but I don't know where to being.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be awesome. Thanks.

3. Verschoren macrumors regular

Verschoren

Your Mac only broadcasts it's "type" to other Macs in the surrounding network.
    The icon is stored on the "receiving" Mac, so you can't really send out a custom icon, but maybe there's a few to fake your device ID?

4. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Right, so like in the bonjour config file of a mac mini, it has got to say like model=mac mini or something like that. I would want to edit the config on my NAS to broadcast it as model=Xserve or something. I just dont know the correct syntax for this or anything. Also not sure if in the bonjour config on my NAS if it even specifies model or anything.

I figured a custom icon would be out of question, but I still would like it to show up with an Xserve icon rather than the generic one.

EDIT: maybe this could be some help