Changing Adobe Premiere sequence from 1080p to 720 p

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jrm27, Jul 26, 2011.

1. jrm27 macrumors 6502

Hello all,

Back with another Premiere question. I've shot a bunch of interviews in 1080p and have been setting up a sequence in Adobe Premiere at that resolution. However, now I'm wanting to include some still pictures in the final assembly. In order for the pictures to look right, I need to have them at very very high resolution (which may not be a problem, but slows down the process for me a bit) to add them to this sequence. Is there a way to easily change my 1080p sequence to 720p resolution? My final render will be in 720 regardless. Is this not possible, not advised, cause problems? Thanks for any input!

-jon

2. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Yes.

1) Open new sequence
    2) Choose General tab (instead of picking a preset)
    3) Choose Desktop editing format (again, no preset)
    4) Type in 1280x720 in the dimension blocks
    5) Choose Square pixel aspect ratio, no fields (progressive)
    6) Select all (clips in timeline) in the old sequence, paste into new sequence
    7) Resize all clips to fit 720p dimensions as needed. (The 1080p clips will be blown up beyond the screen dimensions until you shrink them down.)

Maybe seven steps isn't simple, but it will work.

I'm wondering why your stills in the video are requiring you to shrink down to 720p. My stills are 4928×3264 for example, which means I have to shrink them down to 40% scale in order to fit 1080p. It doesn't sound like your stills are "very very high resolution" if you're shrinking the sequence to 720p. Am I missing something?

3. jrm27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the steps. The pictures are from a friend of mine in another location. I'm not sure if he can get me files in high-enough resolution in time, so I'm trying to plan for a different eventuality where i only have lower res artwork.

I'm in your boat. All my RAW images are of more than adequate size, but I'm not sure what kind of source files I'll be able to procure from my buddy.

4. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Ah, well in that case, cheating down to 720 makes perfect sense. :)