Changing and Deleting Admin Accounts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by forcefieldkid, Mar 18, 2010.

1. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Hey guys,
    Just recieved a very nice refurb black Macbook, without the discs, and with an account already set. I'm just making sure before I do anything, as i'd like to have a different home folder name than the one theyve set, If I set up a new admin account and then delete the one they made, it won't cause me any problems right?

Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes, definitely create a new admin account and delete the old one. I strongly recommend doing a clean install for security reasons, which make require you to purchase a copy of Snow Leopard. Did you buy the computer directly from a retailer? If so, they should have included the disks.

3. forcefieldkid thread starter macrumors 6502

It was through an authorised apple reseller (http://maceco.co.uk). They were up front about it not coming with the discs but with a fresh install of Leopard and iLife09. Thanks for the answer on the admin accounts, doing that now.

What do you mean about security reasons for a fresh install and buying Snow Leopard? Could you elaborate on that?

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Just for added piece of mind, making it yours and making sure there is nothing 'icky' installed on it.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You can get a replacement set of Restore Disks from Apple, phone 0844 209 0611 and have the serial number ready.

6. forcefieldkid thread starter macrumors 6502

Would I have to pay for those or just mention it was purchased as a Refurb?

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Usually the replacement, called a fulfillment, will be at cost. If anyone was to give you the software for free it would have been the reseller, not Apple.

8. forcefieldkid thread starter macrumors 6502