Changing Apple ID, how best to do? What about purchases?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BadboyHouse, Dec 10, 2011.

1. BadboyHouse, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

Currently my apple id and primary email address is my AOL email address. I'm going to be leaving aol soon and have set up a new @me.com address. I plan to use this as my main email address for everything.

I've got a couple of questions I wondered if anyone could help with:-

1. If I change my Apple id and primary email address, what will happen to all of my purchases? Presumably these won't be affected?

2. My new @me.com address is my alternative address on the apple id page - will I be able to set this address as my primary? If not, what do I need to do to achieve this?

3. Currently my partner and I use the same apple id. What do I need to do in order for her to have her own apple id, whilst ensuring that everything that she has purchased she can still access? We still of course want to use the same credit card etc, but currently everything that she purchases shows up on my list - which would be expected. I also want to eventually set her up with her own iCloud account.

Thanks in advance!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Open itunes

Click on the store tab at the top of the page.

Click view settings

Make your required changes

That's it.

3. BadboyHouse, Dec 10, 2011

BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

According the the my apple I'd page you can't create an apple id using an @me.com account.

No worries.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Had A Feeling

That might be the case.....Good to know though.

5. srf4real, Dec 10, 2011

srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

DON'T DO IT! I have been throgh the wringer with Apple about this, trust me.

Apple will not allow the merging of Apple IDs, or of previous iTunes account logins with other accounts. The only opportunity you will have to somewhat get on the same page is to take your current Apple ID with you into the iCloud should you choose to update and migrate there, where they will allow you to create a new @iCloud identity which cannibalizes you old account under dot mac, mobile me, etc.,

I have lost the ability to bring purchases from a very old iTunes account into my current Apple devices registered under my more recent Apple ID, which Apple has merged with iTunes account logins. I have fought with Apple support on this issue, and the best answer I have been able to get from support staff is, "I can understand why you feel like Apple is ripping you off but our policy is WE DO NOT ALLOW MERGING OF APPLE ID's." :(

6. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

It's really dumb, but by default an @me email address is immediately an Apple ID. There is currently no way to "merge" your two Apple IDs. It's an issue.
    As for seperating your and your partners account, you can't use the same credit card on more than one account and you cannot separate your purchases to another account. Keep your current Apple ID for iTunes purchases and create two @me/iCloud accounts for iCloud stuff... Does that make sense?