Changing Apple ID/iTunes ID: Do purchases transfer with me?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by klrobinson999, Jun 10, 2011.

1. klrobinson999 macrumors 6502

Not sure where to post this question, since there's no iTunes discussion forum.

If I change my account name log-in/email address (which is the same) to a newer e-mail address that I have, do all of my purchases and purchase history then transfer with me? Will I have access to all the purchases I've made since 2004 if I now use a new log-in?

I'm assuming each purchase has some sort of imprint and key and should follow me with the updated account log-in, but I want to be sure given the old DRM and computer authorization requirements. Thanks in advance.

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I'm pretty sure that Mac App Store apps do not do any sort of authentication after installation. I tested this the other day (prodded on by a poster on another thread) by logging out of my MAS account and running apps that I've previously had installed.

While not definitve, you should be OK as long as you keep both the old account and new account. Just login to one MAS account or the other when you need to update apps.

Please also note that Apple could, at any time, change the terms of the store to put account authentication onto the apps like they do with iTunes videos/movies.

3. SkippyScud macrumors member

If you are just changing the email account on file, you are fine, its the same account, just the contact information is updated.

Now, if you are creating a new account, then no there is nothing associated. When in doubt, call apple support to swing by your local apple store.

4. klrobinson999 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not creating a new account, simply want to change the e-mail address I log in with. I'm trying to rid myself of extraneous e-mail addresses. I simply want to be sure that Apple recognizes me and my previous purchases (for syncing, Cloud purposes).

5. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Yes it works. I had to do this when my account got hacked.

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I'll second that it works. I've changed my email/account I'd twice.

You might have to re-authenticate with the new id/pass when you first try to play protected content, but no big deal.

7. klrobinson999 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated!