Changing Apple/ iTunes ID

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xpipe, Jul 31, 2009.

1. xpipe macrumors regular

I am changing to a new ISP/email, so imagine I should update my Apple/iTunes ID info. Are they the same thing? I am under the impression that they are.

So anyway, being a pessimist, I assumed that making a change in my ID was going to screw up my ability to watch the videos I have gotten trough iTunes via some DRM snafu. A search showed that some people have had issues in this regard.

Anyway, I have seen people directed to change their account info in two different ways:

1) Through this link at the Apple site: https://myinfo.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyInfo, where it looks like you can change your account name, *or* simply change the email address associated with the account (though the account name is actually the old email address that I'm getting rid of).

2) Through the iTunes application itself (iTunes > Account > Edit Account Info) as described on the iTunes support page here http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ under "iTunes Store Account and Billing." Here, you have the option to enter a new email address ("This will be your new Apple ID").

So, does it matter which way I do it, i.e., if I simply change my email address at the first link, will that carry over to iTunes or whatever needs to happen so that it all still "just works"? I can't lose my Star Trek: Voyager :eek:

Has anyone else changed their info, how did you do it, and did you have any problems? Maybe I'm worrying for nothing here...thanks :)

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

You can change the email associated with the ID, but not the ID itself.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The place you want to change it is in iTunes.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

That's not true. The email address is the ID. When you change the associated email address, the ID changes as well.

I've done it.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Exactly. I've done this before when I moved out from my parents house. I had an email address under their ISP but I when I got out on my own, I got a new email address. The change in iTunes was easy. The only thing you can't change to/from is a MobileMe/.Mac address.

6. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I'm curious about this also. I'm using a university email address that I may lose soon.

Obviously, a lot of DRM content is associated with that email. Will those files 'change' or does my iTunes simply just add another authorised name? What if I need to deauthorise/reauthorise?

Basically, if you change your ID, what happens to old DRM media? What happens to it if you need to reauthorise?

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Your old DRM content will still be good after changing your ID. You might be asked to authorize again with the new ID, but the protected content is tied to your account not the specific email address/ID.

I had to change my account when my email address changed due to Comcast taking over from Time Warner as my ISP. All my purchased tracks continued to work without a hitch.

8. Barbie macrumors regular

Barbie

the apple ID as you see it, e.g. steve@me.com is simply an alias you can change at any time.

The real apple ID, which is a very long number, is hidden in the files and is always linked to your account.

:)

9. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Thanks, guys. I suspected as much, but just wanted to confirm :)

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yeah, fwiw in the info for downloaded tunes it shows my old email address/itunes account name for things I downloaded before the change. But no issue playing them.

11. dxta0 macrumors member

dxta0

Not true you can have an Apple ID that is different from the email address assigned to it I've changed this like two days ago because i signed up for MobileMe here is the link https://myinfo.apple.com

12. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

What about if you had to reauthorise a new computer with the itunes account - will you have to reauthorise the original email address too?

What happens if you buy apps? Let's say you buy an app on email 1. You change your account to email 2. Can you repurchase the app you purchased with email 1 using your new email2 without paying for it again? Will iTunes know?

13. xpipe thread starter macrumors regular

Funny this got bumped now, because I just finally changed my iTunes info like two days ago! I changed it within the iTunes application on my laptop...no problems. Then went over to the iMac and signed in with the new Apple ID...no problems. Videos play fine, no issues with iTunes store credit, just a seamless transition for me. And I got an iPhone for Xmas. Woo Hoo!!!