Changing Background Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tdgrn, Apr 20, 2010.

1. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Hey everybody,
    I have a MBP that I have hooked up to an external monitor. I also have a folder with a set of backgrounds that I like, and that is what I use the folder of pictures for. For the life of me, I can't figure out a way to make the background change, but stay the same on both monitors. I have looked at all the preferences that I can find, I have tired doing different things with Automator, but I can't figure this one out. In Windows 7, you just select your background, or background folder, and it revolves the backgrounds, but both monitors are always displaying the same background.

Any ideas? :confused:

2. tdgrn thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Chickenhawked macrumors newbie

Chickenhawked

go to system pref>displays, there should be a box that says "mirror display" that allows to have the monitor show the same image (for use with a larger screen). Click it off, then on the new monitor use can change the background. You can also change the arrangement of the screen. It's hard to put in writing but play around with it, you'll figure it out.

4. tdgrn thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't want the displays to mirror one another, I just want the background to be the same on both screens, while having the background rotate as time goes on.

5. jCrabb13 macrumors newbie

idk about dual screens, but in system prefs, if you go to desktop theres the option to rotate every... (gives a few time options) I dont know if that will keep the backgrounds sync... but thats definitely how to rotate through a folder. to add the folder to the left bar just click the plus underneath like usual.

6. tdgrn thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but I had already gotten that far. I just want to have a rotating background that is synced on both monitors. - Sad Panda

7. marc.cizravi macrumors member

When you're opening system preferences and you choose display, if both monitors are running (not mirroring each other), you should see a "display preference" dialog on both monitors (two different windows).

So you should see 2 system preference panes... are you running 10.6? I'm not sure if this is an SL feature or not... but you should be able to set two different sets of preferences to each monitor.

8. tdgrn thread starter macrumors 6502

I am running 10.6.3 - You are correct about both monitors having an option for choosing a background, however, when I choose a folder for backgrounds, and have my background change, I have not figured out a way for the backgrounds to stay synced on both monitors.