Changing boot up screen

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Oblivion2500, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Oblivion2500 macrumors newbie

I want to change the boot up screen. I hate the white screen with the boring flat grey apple. I want a black screen with silver apple icon. (Just like the iOS booting up screen).

Where can I find the folder that contains the files such as the background color, apple logo, and clock wheel icon? I know it is possible. It was done using BootXChanger for Snow Leopard but it was really restricted and does not work on Mac OS X lion.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You cannot change the background color of that screen (it's not an image file that's located on the computer), and the logo changes can only be very minor, because of the restrictions you mentioned (even if you find a program that does it). How often do you see the boot screen anyways that you need to worry about this?

jW

3. Oblivion2500 thread starter macrumors newbie

The reason I want to change it is because of the following reasons:
    • I hate the white screen and it takes a good 2 minutes to boot up my computer. Also when I wake up at 7:00am for school, I check my email and turning on the computer blinds me since my eyes are still weak from just waking up
    • Also I want my computer more personal for me. I get tired of looking at everything being grey and silver on my computer. Everyone has their own taste of color/them for anything. It just like if you had a office/bedroom that was boring white and you wanted it to be green since that is your taste and it helps you focus and relax better on your work/school work/hobbies/etc. how would you feel if someone said "No!, you can't change the room color, only white!". That is too strict and controlling. It almost like dictatorship on computers and what you can do with it.

Is it possible to modifed the file that creates the white background? Change the icon also?

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I believe I already answered the question. It's not technically possible, unless you want to rewrite the code for the bootloader from scratch.

And if your boss told you that you couldn't paint your office green, I'd say they're absolutely within their rights. But that analogy doesn't even apply here, because it's a technical limitation, not an artificial restriction. It's like not getting permission to paint your office when you don't have walls. There's no image there, it's simply displaying the color white (with a gradient, I believe, though it's subtle enough I can't quite confirm). It's not something that's possible. Stick with other methods of customizing your Mac. I've got a black menubar and Dock and lots of customization on my computer, but some things you just gotta let go.

jW

5. Oblivion2500 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. I guess. I hope Mountain Lion will have new boot screen like iOS.

How do you get black menu bar? I been trying to figure that out for a year. Same for dock. I could change dock on snow leopard but not in lion anymore...

6. Oblivion2500 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh. I thought you mean't like black UI theme. A little bit like when you turn on private browsing for safari on iOS. I will stick with the silver since it looks better. Thanks anyway.