Changing Careers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by barkomatic, Mar 3, 2010.

1. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Has anyone here ever changed their career? If so, how did you do it (did you get more education, training, start a business, lucky break etc) and how old were you when you did? Why did you change careers?

2. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

I never have, but am curious on what is on your mind. What have you been doing and what do you want to do?

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I did. And the bottom line for me was to get more education. But Freis968 is asking good questions....

4. craigijohno macrumors newbie

craigijohno

I did. I was in the Army for around 10 years and I got out when I was 27 when I found out my wife was pregnant. I sent myself off to University and I'm still studying but I've already been offered jobs. Just gotta have the right attitude and be willing to learn and try new things. Never leave a door unopened is my motto

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I am in the middle of this. Graduated from college and wanted to go to medical school, but got a job right out and was enjoying having money. Worked for about 5 years until I was 28, now I am full time at Physician Assistant school.

Kind of glad I waited. Have some money saved up from my previous job and its nice being older. I went back for the job satisfaction, as I will probably be making less at my new job for some time, plus lost wages, then my old job.

6. barkomatic thread starter macrumors 68040

Currently, I work at a university and manage a small group of people who perform various clerical tasks. It's ok, but boring much of the time. As an employee, I can take advantage of free tuition -- but my school is a little smaller -- and doesn't have any programs that I'm terribly interested in.

As for what I want to do I don't really know specifically. In a vague sense, I'd like more dynamic and somewhat more lucrative career. The job I have now is pretty predictable but is very secure. At no point during the last recession was there even the chance I'd get laid off. I guess I started the thread to see what led others to change their careers. Thanks for the replies so far.