Changing carriers

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kevink2, Oct 19, 2018.

1. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Does anyone know whether carriers give any hassle with changing carriers with the cellular watch? Since it uses an eSIM?

For instance, if I buy a watch and use it on T-Mobile, then change my mind and want to go to ATT or Verizon. Or some other direction.

I've seen reports about issues with the eSIM iPad. Though at least with the iPad you still have the option of using a nano SIM.

I'm considering upgrading from my Series 2 to the 4.

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I have no personal experience with it, but the only issues I have seen reported are from people who purchased the watch from the carrier via a promotional payment plan. The carriers require the watch to be paid off once the line is cancelled.

3. ausbill32 macrumors newbie

ausbill32

I don't get my LTE watch till next week. I have ATT in Austin, TX and it's not that great of service. I'm thinking about switching to Verizon or T-Mobile. What is everyone paying for their watch LTE service?

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Not really a technical issue related to the eSIM but Verizon and T-Mobile have both had trouble adding watches (Series 3-4) that were originally sold directly from Apple or another carrier.

The challenge was / is that the watch is not "White Listed" by default in the carrier's system. The reps need to add the information from the bottom of the box to their system before they can get the watch added / activated correctly.

Dave
    --- Post Merged, Oct 19, 2018 ---
    Using T-Mobile should allow you to get to a flat $10 for the watch's line on Digits if you setup auto-pay. Both AT&T and Verizon add taxes and multiple fees that can push the final cost of the watch's line to $13-$16 per month depending on where you are located. Some cities & counties also add additional e911 fees.

Dave

5. kevink2 thread starter macrumors 65816

That may be what I read somewhere, helping lead to my question here. I don't really want to spend the money all at once, but I hate owing money more. So I would probably go with the $529 model. Apple has a trade in offer of $125 for my series 2. No need to keep my old watch.

6. Stephen.Trae macrumors member

Stephen.Trae

I believe that once your number is connected to that watch you can’t switch carriers later. T-Mobile might be able to give you a solid answer on that. One way to get around that if that’s the case is to purchase Apple Care and ask for a replacement. I believe the ones they send will not be carrier locked.