Changing computers

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rjphoto, Feb 19, 2009.

1. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Number One Son has taken off to college with his MacBook.

Number Two Son has his iPod Touch synced to said MacBook.

If we plug the Touch into my PowerBook (10.5.6 but only usb 1.1, I know it will be slow) will he loose all of the Apps installed on it?

He wants to sync some TV shows we have downloaded.

He also wants to update it at the same time.

2. macbook2750 macrumors newbie

macbook2750

hi!

well im not sure because my grandma has a powerbook also and her ipod touch is always conneted to my macbook so when i was in vacation she purchased a new song and so she pluged it in her powerbook and she put the song and updated it with no problem it took her about half an hour to finish the update but it worked perfectly fine it shouldnt loose and thing:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Is number one son's MacBook and your PowerBook authorized with the same iTunes account? If yes, then the apps should be fine -- iTunes should ask you if you want to transfer purchases when you sync, you answer yes, and any apps installed on the iPod should copy over to your PowerBook.

Music and videos are another story. If you didn't copy your music and videos off your number one son's MacBook to your PowerBook before he left, then any music/videos that aren't on your PowerBook would get deleted from the iPod when you sync. In which case you would need to call Number One Son and get him to copy the music/videos onto DVD or flash drive and mail them to you.

4. rjphoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Music and videos aren't a problem just the Apps.

As for the accounts, they are different. I have authorized his to my account in the past but it is deauthorized right now.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, apps are tied to the itunes account they were bought with, so if the apps were bought on your son's account, you'd have to reauthorize your PowerBook with that account. I've heard that you can authorize more than one account on the same computer. However, you need to be logged in to the account the apps were purchased with if you want to receive notices about app updates and update the apps.

6. rjphoto thread starter macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

That's what I was afraid of.
    I guess he'll have to wait a few weeks.

Thanks guys.