Changing CPU allocation to Excel 2011 for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by d4n13vt, Aug 10, 2014.

1. d4n13vt macrumors newbie

I am running some hefty Excel models and the calculations take hours to complete. I notice that Excel only ever use about 100% of 1 CPU and less than 800GB of RAM.

Since I have the MacBook Pro with 8 CPU's and 16GB of RAM, I would love to throw some more tin at the problem, but I can't seem to find any setting to change the CPU allocation in the Excel preferences like you did in the older versions of Excel.

Any ideas on where to change the number of CPU's attacking my excel calculation problem?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's no way to change an application to use more then one cpu. The application needs to be written to leverage more cores. Most apps aren't multi-threaded so they only take advantage of a single core.

3. d4n13vt thread starter macrumors newbie

Excel 2011 for Mac - multi threading

Thanks Mike.

So are you saying Excel 2011 for Mac is NOT written to hyper thread like its PC version?

4. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

MS Office for Mac is written to make you buy a PC.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Yes.

Also, you must have good contacts inside Apple, since you have an octacore MBP.

6. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

You mean threaded. Hyperthreading is a completely different kettle of fish...

----------

That's because there are 8 logical processors on 4 physical cores. Each core can execute two threads which OS X sees as 8 CPUs. This is what hyperthreading is.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Excel 2011 is based on old code and does not leverage the multiple cores that are available. As mentioned, its not hyper threading buy multi-threaded. Excel probably doesn't need to be multi-threaded that much as the calculations are fairly serial and cannot be easily divided up (AFAIK).

8. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

I don't know about the Mac side, but Excel on the PC side is both multi and hyper threading enabled. My Excel files use 4 threads (2 real, 2 hyper) when recalculating my spreadsheets. This is in Office 2007.