Changing CPU fan in Quicksilver 2001

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Hi!

Mabye one of you guys know...

The fan that is blowing on the CPU cooler in my Qucksilver enclosure starts to make really bad noises and I want to change it for a new one.

Now I am not sure if the fan speed is controlled by the motherboard or if the fan has a temperature sensor built-in???

Quite important to pick the right fan...

Does anybody know?

Thanks.

groovebuster

matthew24

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Netherlands
Fan Quicksilver

I did have a G4 Quicksilver ( 2002 ).

The fan is not CPU controlled.

The trouble is is that Apple does use propriety fans for those systems. ( not sure though )

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I somehow got my fans replaced for free at the apple store. I don't have Applecarev(anymore), and obviously my computer is more than a year old. I had to pay for the fans (bought them from some replacement site), but a nice genius put them in for me for free! Much quieter now! I think older fans just get noisier.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Thanks guys, but that didn't really answer my question...

Of course the fan isn't software controlled. But still there could be a temperature sensor on the board instead of the fan being self-controlled...

I want to replace the fan myself because I want to use a really quit one instead of the original one which was amazingly loud even before it was screwed.

groovebuster

DTG

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2003
UK
groovebuster said:
Thanks guys, but that didn't really answer my question...

Of course the fan isn't software controlled. But still there could be a temperature sensor on the board instead of the fan being self-controlled...

I want to replace the fan myself because I want to use a really quit one instead of the original one which was amazingly loud even before it was screwed.

groovebuster
There are no sensors controlling the CPU fan in your Quicksilver.

To find a replacement, the first thing to do is get the dimensions of the fan itself. Then you can start looking for suitable replacements.

I hear (pun?) Panaflo fans are rather quiet, not sure if the Apple logic boards use proprietary fan connectors though.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
The motherboard doesn't control the fan speed. It's actually controlled by the fan thermostat itself, but this only applies to the 120mm vent fan. The CPU fan runs at a constant speed.

I recommend Papst german-engineered fans. They are rated to be the quietest fans on the market.

You can also check out www.7volts.com for really in-depth articles.

krimson

macrumors 65816
im using an Evercool Alum model, i dont remember the actual model number anymore, but the cfm was a bit higher and the db was 1 lower. The only problem was the pitch of the fan was higher in tone than the original, so it took some getting used to.