Changing CPU in Quadcore Powermac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dewalt94, Feb 8, 2014.

1. dewalt94 macrumors newbie

hi i need to change the cpu and water cooling unit in my powermac g5 quad core but after unscrewing all of the 8 screws shown in an online tutorial it still won't come off i don't want to force it incase there is there something i have missed

2. jlofgr macrumors newbie

Removing the CPU Assembly

Hi...just finished this process myself. I have a late 2005 2.5 GHz Quad G5 with 1 pump and it took a bit to figure it out. If you look a bit, you will find a manual on the web for free.
    http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/powermac/powermac_g5_late2005.pdf

but, the answer to your dilema may be that you need to remove 6 main screws that protrude down through the aluminum base plate, 4 screws that attach the power wires to the CPU boards, 4 rounded head hex screws that the manual says to "loosen" and 4 tall hex bolts next to the radiator. Completely unthread them (not just loosen) The manual will make things clear to you. Good Luck!

Jim

3. dewalt94 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks it was of great help
    but now I have another problem now its installed when booted it does the chime then the apple logo then a message saying unresolved kernel trap (cpu 0 ) 0x300 - data access DAR=0X0000000000000000 PC=0X0000000003cadaf94 and a lot more too much to type

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'll have to post the whole kernel panic so that we can best determine what's causing it. Even a clear picture of it would work.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It appears that it could be a problem with a PCI-e card. Try removing all but the video card and try again.