Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
so I have unlimited data and dont want to change my plan, but my wife has a 2gb data plan for $25 and I called att today and they said to use hotspot she has to upgrade to the 5gb plan which is for $50 with discount comes to around $39. that will be an increase of $14 or so which we don't mind.

what they also said that my wife cant revert back to the 2gb once upgraded.

What I want tp know like the OP how much battery will be drained phone the iphone in case there is no charging option.

Can you watch a moveis on netflix with tethering?

will we be able to use the ipad and its maps as a navigation device while on the road by tethering the iphone as a hotspot.

Or for maps and navigation one needs a cellular ipad.

kindly suggest if changing my wifes data plan would be a good move or not.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
all those question depend on your current internet speed.

typically att 3g gets 3mbps+ in most metro areas. hspa+ 5-8 mbps.
both of those are more than enough for doing all the above.

as to power drain.. it lasts a while when tethering, if you have the phone locked.
I say go for it, if you think you will actually use the tethering.

$14 more..more than 2x the data.. plus hotspot.

robopath

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
so I have unlimited data and dont want to change my plan, but my wife has a 2gb data plan for $25 and I called att today and they said to use hotspot she has to upgrade to the 5gb plan which is for $50 with discount comes to around $39. that will be an increase of $14 or so which we don't mind.

What I want tp know like the OP how much battery will be drained phone the iphone in case there is no charging option.

will we be able to use the ipad and its maps as a navigation device while on the road by tethering the iphone as a hotspot.

The battery will drain faster when tethering, less if using bluetooth vs wifi. You would need a cellular ipad, the wifi ones do not have a GPS chip. If using it for mostly navigation, and it is a gps enabled ipad, I would get one of the standalone gps apps. Tomtom would be my recommendation for $40. One time buy and you don't even need a data plan.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas

My wife and I found ourselves in the exact same situation as you and yours.

My wife was using a lot of data on here iP4S. She has had a 2gb data plan since the iP4S launched. I want her to enjoy her phone and not worry about using data. As such, this past Sunday, I upgraded her plan to a 5gb with personal hotspot plan.

This work out great for me, as I am on an unlimited AT&T data plan. Now, We can tether our iPads and Macs, if needed when we are traveling. I am willing to pay the premium for the added data and options.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
My wife and I found ourselves in the exact same situation as you and yours.

My wife was using a lot of data on here iP4S. She has had a 2gb data plan since the iP4S launched. I want her to enjoy her phone and not worry about using data. As such, this past Sunday, I upgraded her plan to a 5gb with personal hotspot plan.

This work out great for me, as I am on an unlimited AT&T data plan. Now, We can tether our iPads and Macs, if needed when we are traveling. I am willing to pay the premium for the added data and options.

Thanks looks like it woudl come in handy when we are in an area without wifi and want a bigger screen to search/surf etc.

I am although dissapointed to know that the ipad wifi version does not have the navigation capability.

So in the car if I opne google maps and its connected to iphone hotspot the maps feature will not work. is that right?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Maps will work just fine but it won't be able to use GPS. GPS is just one method of determining your location. The problem is that the alternate methods aren't suitable for navigation in your car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.