Changing Date on iCal icon

GregUofMN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
Is there any way that the date can change on the iCal icon every day without opening the program every single day? In other words, can this icon do this automatically instead of manually?

Thanks in advance.

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
maybe you could make an applescript to have iCal open and close in the morning of each day so that the date changes. I can't think of a way within iCal to do it. Maybe they will fix this with Tiger.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
There is no way to do it (or at least that I know of). What i do is I always keep iCal open except just hidden. It doesn't use any system resources but it keeps the icon up to date.

GregUofMN

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
wwooden said:
maybe you could make an applescript to have iCal open and close in the morning of each day so that the date changes. I can't think of a way within iCal to do it. Maybe they will fix this with Tiger.

I bought a mac because of the ease of use... there is no way in hell, I'm going to be able to write an applescript. :)

I wait for you guys to do that and then I download it! ;)

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
I just have iCal open and hide automatically every time I turn on my computer.

You can set this too if you go to System Prefs --> Accounts --> Startup Items.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
The real question....

The real question is who/why Apple chose 17 as the number on the icon?

Is there a story behind that?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
dotnina said:
I just have iCal open and hide automatically every time I turn on my computer.

You can set this too if you go to System Prefs --> Accounts --> Startup Items.
Yep, that's what I do, too. Very easy solution.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
Submit iCal Feedback in iCal about. It's a classic issue that will be fixed soon.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
daveL said:
Yep, that's what I do, too. Very easy solution.
thats what i do, but if you dont like that solution and want the correct date to be displayed somewhere on your desktop, you can play around with the clock settings in system preferences.....

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
PlaceofDis said:
thats what i do, but if you dont like that solution and want the correct date to be displayed somewhere on your desktop, you can play around with the clock settings in system preferences.....
Really? How?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
daveL said:
Really? How?
in the date and time settings>clock tab... you can have it set so that the time is displayed in a window by itself, which you can put anywhere on your desktop, if you have it selected for dicitial it also shows you the date, and you can set the transparency for whatever level you like

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
PlaceofDis said:
in the date and time settings>clock tab... you can have it set so that the time is displayed in a window by itself, which you can put anywhere on your desktop, if you have it selected for dicitial it also shows you the date, and you can set the transparency for whatever level you like
Right, I remember now. I just never liked having it as a separate window. I thought you meant you could get the date in the menu bar (without clicking it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.