changing default email client only half works

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by uncleMonty, May 29, 2013.

1. uncleMonty macrumors regular

So within Mail.app I've set the default email program to be Thunderbird. This works fine if for example I click on a "mail to:" link on a web page. But if I right-click a document on my desktop and select "new email with attachment", Mail.app opens up a compose window instead of Thunderbird. Is this the right behaviour or have I done something wrong?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

"New email with attachment" is not a default service in the right click menu, which makes me think maybe you made the service with Automator or something and then added it? If so, you may need to recreate the service.

I know in Mt. Lion this function moved to the "Share" menu when you right click. Can't recall if that was there in Lion.

3. uncleMonty thread starter macrumors regular

That's odd, I didn't add the service myself. Maybe it is something that Quicksilver installed--I recently upgraded to v1.0 (it's great). Otherwise, would adding a service like this be something that you script yourself?

Googling "new email with attachment" and Thunderbird, I found several people asking the same question and no easy solution.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I doubt QS is even able to add services like this. I am on Mr. Lion, so I am probing in the dark here a bit.

Open Automator and click "service" to make a new service. You will see the options along the left side. I'm wondering if you could make a service to send mail with Thunderbird.