Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thienan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Hello all,

I've recently switched to a newer Macbook Pro and they've changed the FN key layout since how they used to be since the Powerbooks, or earlier.

I have my complaints about the new layout (the expose icon is ugly!) but I'll just get straight to my questions:

F7 is gone! It used to switch me between extended desktop and mirror modes when connected to an external display/projector. How can I get that functionality back with a keyboard shortcut?

I was used to F12-dashboard F11-expose desktop F10-expose app windows, but those are now taken. I know I can swap the behaviour of the fn+F# keys, but if I do that, I'd have to press fn to increase brightness.

Is there a way to map increase/decrease brightness to keys? And while we're at it, how do you map other system settings like these to keys? (I know you can put keyboard shortcuts on menu items in applications, but this is a little different).

Kind of a complicated question... but any help would be great. Thanks!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Go to Keyboard & Mouse in Apple Menu>System Preferences. You can restore the old-skool setting for the Fn keys if you like under the Keyboard tab and reassign key functions under the Keyboard Shortcuts tab.

thienan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Go to Keyboard & Mouse in Apple Menu>System Preferences. You can restore the old-skool setting for the Fn keys if you like under the Keyboard tab and reassign key functions under the Keyboard Shortcuts tab.

This was already addressed in my post... I realize I can do that. That's why I asked...

how do you map other system settings like these to keys?

Meaning settings like increase/decrease brightness, volume (?)

thienan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Just in case anyone is wondering about the answer to this...

I did stumble upon FunctionFlip, which will flip the need to press fn or not for ONLY the function keys chosen... rather than all or none. Sort of solves it for me...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.