Changing Default System Icons

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Clusty, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Clusty macrumors regular

Is there a guide anywhere on how to change the default system icons without Candybar?

Interfacelift has links to guides, but they aren't for Tiger(10.4).

2. Mernak macrumors 6502

LiteIcon is a pretty self explanatory program. And it's free.

3. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

Have you, or anybody else, used this program and can confirm it works?

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

There's also CandyBar, which is $13, but very widely used and of extremely high quality.

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Whilst the OP said they didn't want CandyBar, I still recommend it. :D Very good program.

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

hehe - yep, apparently my itchy trigger finger won out over my ability to read the entire OP. Oops. :eek:

7. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

I used interfacelift icons, downloaded, found the icons I wanted to change, :apple: c icon from interfacelft, get info on the standard icon, select the top image on get info and :apple: v. It was tricky at first but then I got the hang of it, but if you want to do all icons, like new folders and stuff, I would recommend Candybar also. They give you 25 changes free, then you have to purchase it.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I am not sure if the location of the System icons has changed in 10.4 but this is the most recent tutorial I could find 10.3.

The steps in this article are what I used to follow all the time when changing default system icons. I was too cheap to pay for Candybar and still am:D . I haven't used this since either 10.2 or 10.3 because you can now change all of the icons which I cared about in 10.4.

http://interfacelift.com/icons-mac/articles/defaults_10-3-x.php

Iconographer is a great program they mentioned in the article and it is free. It is quite useful for creating your own icons. Though I do the heavy lifting in Photoshop and copy them to iconographer for conversion.

http://mscape.com/products/iconographer.html

This article is for changing your trash and finder icons on the dock.

http://interfacelift.com/icons-mac/articles/dock_10-3-x.php

9. Mernak macrumors 6502

I just drag the file from the finder to LiteIcon and it works ok, plus its easier. Never tried CandyBar, but have only heard good things about it.