Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
How do I change the default view in MS Word.

I always have to choose view > zoom >page width when opening the app.

Isn't there a way to change the default view setting?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Hmm... Mine remembers the changes I make. I just tested this by opening a Word document, changing the zoom, quitting Word and then reopening it. The new page kept my customised zoom. It might work like Finder in that you have to open a new blank document, zoom to Page Width (or whatever you want), quit Word without saving the document and from then on it should be zoomed in how you like. :)

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
I think Word may remember what view it was in when the original doc was saved. So if you get a file from someone else, it's going to pop up on the screen in the last view that they had it in.

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
Aaah, OK, thanks for the advice.

I realised what the problem was.
I hadn 't deavtivated that annoying little dialogue box that pops up when you open the app.

mariahexp

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2009
Thanks! Now what about Excel?

I am so glad I found that info. Now I'm wondering about how to make it happen in Excel. I tried the same strategy: changing the view in a blank spreadsheet, closing it without saving anything and then re-opening. No such luck.

Any advise?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I'm wondering about how to make it happen in Excel.

Any advise?

Adjust file as you want it
SaveAs "You Name It"
pick Template (save in My Templates, or another easy to remember folder name)
Make an alias of the file and put it in a convenient spot. Or, if you have My Templates located in the Templates folder, My Templates will be a choice in the Project Gallery sidebar when you open a New Document. Click My Templates, pick your "You Name It" file...

Now, whenever you want a new file to open that way, you've got it. Remember the first time you Save, use SaveAs and give it a new name!

There's probably a more elegant solution, but that will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.