Changing default word processor in Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ulobacz, Nov 7, 2013.

1. ulobacz macrumors newbie

I downloaded Maverick the other day and ever since I find that when I want to open a document, it automatically uses Pages, Numbers or what not. I've been trying to figure out how to change the default but haven't had any luck. This may seem basic and silly, but can anyone help me with this issue.

When I go to finder and use "open with", I don't get an option to make that change permanent. Which is what I found was the suggestion when I Googled it.

Thanks for your help.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Right click on a document / get info / open with

It should be a permeant change.

3. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Go to your document, right-click and choose Get Info. In that panel there is an Open with: section. Choose your desired program and then click the Change All... button underneath.

4. ulobacz thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately not

I tried opening multiple documents, spreadsheets and pdf files using "open with" and still everything opens using Pages, Numbers, etc. Any idea what changed with Maverick?

I just downloaded the update to Open Office and I still have the old version in my App file. I'm wondering if I need to delete the old version so my Mac will recognize which one I want to use. Could this be the problem?

I really shouldn't have done both updates consecutively, now I'm not sure where the problem is coming from. Any advice would be appreciated.