Changing desktop icons

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by toonz diggler, Nov 23, 2007.

1. toonz diggler macrumors member

First off, i would like to say thank you to everyone who has helped me in the previous 10 noob questions I asked. This forum is very polite and helpful.

I visit the forum niketalk.com often. And in one of threads called "post your desktop" I notice alot of users, changing their icons on their desktop. Eg; one had like ninja turtles icon, nike sneakers, a gun, RYU form street fighter etc.

Any ideas on how to do this?

thanks

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You can change icons by right clicking the icon and clicking "Get Info". Down towards the end you'll see the icon, just paste your new icon here and it will change. No idea on how to change it back to defaults though!

3. toonz diggler thread starter macrumors member

i just dropped it in, and it only says JPEG lol.. dammit

4. eji macrumors 6502

eji

If you plan on changing your icons frequently -- or you want to do it easily and safely -- look into Candybar. It's a great piece of software that I use regularly to change app and system icons. A word of caution, though: it's NOT (yet) compatible with Leopard.

As for the JPEG problem, I think you're trying to drop standard pictures onto the icon. It has to be an icon image file; standard images won't work. You'll find lots of Mac icons over at InterfaceLift.

5. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    You should be able to find a jpeg to icns converter somewhere online (just google it)

6. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Here's a link.