Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamescwarren

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2005
Isle of Man
Hi people. Today at school I spotted a Macintosh Colour Classic that was not in use so I decided to go see the computer tecnition and ask kindly if I coulf keep it. He said yes so he gave me everything I needed, but there is one thing really bugging me. How do I change the desktop picture on it? Thanks.

P.S. Is the mouse with it faulty? It will move left and right but doesn't seem to want to move up and down very easily. Any way to fix that or should I ask the tecnition for a different one?

Thanks,
James.

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
jamescwarren said:
Hi people. Today at school I spotted a Macintosh Colour Classic that was not in use so I decided to go see the computer tecnition and ask kindly if I coulf keep it. He said yes so he gave me everything I needed, but there is one thing really bugging me. How do I change the desktop picture on it? Thanks.

P.S. Is the mouse with it faulty? It will move left and right but doesn't seem to want to move up and down very easily. Any way to fix that or should I ask the tecnition for a different one?

Thanks,
James.
could these problems have to do with the fact that it wasnt in use.... or be the reason for it?

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Depends upon which version system 7 you're using. It'll be either in the "General" control panel, or "Desktop Patterns" if you're using 7.5 or later, IIRC. And I don't believe you can use pictures, only patterns. The ability to use pictures as a desktop background was built in to OS 8 and later.

jamescwarren

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2005
Isle of Man
I just looked and it says that it's running system 7.1. The thing is though when I got it, as a desktop background, it had like these coloured bits of fruit. I went to have a look in general and found desktop patterns so I clicked on some of them but they all seem to be in black and white. But I don't know where that fruit thing is so I can change it back! I didn't like the fruit but I prefer it to the patterns lol! But surely wherever the fruit is there must be more pictures. Before I've seen thing a bit like the fruit but as Finder's or like teddy bears. ????

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
There were a number of third party programs that allowed you to customize the desktop beyond the simple patterns included. Maybe one of those is installed on the system. If that's the case, it would most likely be located in the control panel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.