Changing Dictionary

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ICEBreaker, May 3, 2008.

1. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

Dear Mac Users,

How do I go about changing the default US dictionary to that of another language? Specifically, I am looking for the UK dictionary. Despite having taught my Mac UK spellings for the past 6 months, I am still coming up with lots of new words everyday to teach it. The UK dictionary would save me a lot of effort. I Googled for it on the web and several people have asked the same question on this forum, but no one seems to have answered them. I suppose Mac users are predominantly American and therefore never found the need to change the dictionary.

Hope someone can help me out. Thanks!

JC

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Not sure if there's a way to change the Dictionary.app settings to give british definitions, but you might want to try dragging "British English" to the top of your languages list in System Preferences > International > Language (you may have to click "Edit List..." in order to find British English).

If you want, you can also change the dictionary's preferences to give british pronunciations, but this probably won't do much.

3. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help Eric. Talk about hiding a language... did they really think there were no British Mac users???

4. WhiteShadow macrumors regular

I have a similar problem but one that is proving difficult for a novice to solve.

I am trying to find a german language system dictionary. If not for the whole system I can live with a german language dictionary for Pages. I spent at least an hour searching for something and have only been able to find converter dictionaries, nothing at the system level.

Also, I do not speak german so I do not want the OS in german just the ability to turn on a grammar/spelling function.

any suggestions? please help.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Inspector -> Text -> Language (near the bottom):

_Skjermbilde 2.jpg _Skjermbilde 3.jpg

I think you can have different languages in one document, so mark the text you want to change.

You can probably edit the template to always start with Deutsch or - at least - make another template that does so...