Changing Disk in 1st Gen Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by theMaccer, Oct 1, 2009.

1. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

Hi,

I have a 1st gen 500GB Time Capsule. The capacity was good when I bought it, but right now 500GB just wont do it for me. So I want to buy a 2TB bare drive and switch out the original 500GB drive. I have done some research on google, and it seems to be doable. But I find some people say that the 1st gen TC would not recognize drives that are bigger than 1TB.
    Just want some feedback from people who have done this. Is 1TB really the cap for the 1st gen?

Thanks

2. MacSawdust macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

I would question the heat load from a 2tb drive. My stock tc always seems hot.

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

If heat's an issue, you could always consider removing the rubber foot and letting the metal dissipate the heat. I'm thinking of doing this with my upgraded TC after reading about the 18 month curse that seems to exist with these things...

As for the first gen TC not recognizing drives larger than 1TB, that's not true. I have a Seagate 1.5TB drive in mine and it recognizes all of the space. Not sure about a 2TB drive tho, but mine is definitely larger than 1TB...