Changing Displays

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkW19, Mar 6, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Whenever I switch to/from the internal display on my 15" MBP, and my 23" Apple Cinema Display, all the windows need moving/resizing for the different display (dashboard widgets are all in the wrong position, windows too small/too big etc. as I go back and forth).

I run both at their native resolutions, with the MBP in clamshell mode all the time with the ACD. Is there a way for my MBP to remember the different window settings for the different displays, so I don't have to move them around everytime I "dock" and un-dock my MBP?

2. pionata macrumors 6502

I never could find that out, so the best workaround is to use the MBP as a primary monitor (so it keeps the icons at the same place) and the ACD as secondary. Instead of using clamshell get a "elevator" laptop stand and place it right beside the ACD and use it for tools and such. Of course it's not the ideal (your idea should be supported, perhaps a third party application support that?), but that's what I'll do when I get my MBP (waiting for it to be shipped).

I have the same monitor you have also ;) should be a nice setup! (through I want to get a rotatable 30" eventually).

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, yeah it is an awesome setup! I've never had a laptop before, so it's great to just unplug the MBP and go and sit on the couch while I watch TV or something, then plug it back in when I want to do some work with the bigger screen/better keyboard/mouse etc.!

Anyway, if I do what you said, the resolution on my ACD is set at the full native, but it's still blurred. Only when I close the MBP and reconnect from the keyboard, does it switch res and become sharp...

4. pionata macrumors 6502

I never heard of that problem before, but the 23" ACD sometimes has problems (mine has a darker line near the top and a few times wont wake up from sleep).

I still have to wait 9 days for my 15" MBP... damn your lucky to get it this quick.