Changing DNS settings for Netflix USA

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by abz1981, Oct 26, 2013.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hey all
    Stupid question but if your changing your DNS settings for Netflix on your Apple TV so you can watch Netflix USA does this affect any other devices for general internet usage that is connected to the same wifi in the house?

2. linds15 macrumors 6502a

nope. only if you change the dns settings on your router does it affect multiple devices.

3. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay thats great. As when I changed the options on ATV, I had to chose my wifi name, and make the adjustments though that on ATV.

I know this may be a n00b question. However if you adjust the DNS number, does this in anyway have a negative affect on my ATV, or internet or anything? I mean the person providing or the host of the DNS, can't do anything wrong on my side of ATV or my internet connetion or anything like send a virus or something or control my devices? Sorry I know it may sound confusing, but would you know?

This is the instructions i followed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmbc6pcRPrw

p.s i really dont understand what DNS are etc.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

DNS is a kind of Internet directory service that just resolves hostnames (like netflix.com) into IP addresses.
    So what they do with this is, that you configure your device to ask their DNS server to resolve names of select services that they intermediate. This way netflix's IP address is replaced in their DNS records with the IP address of their own proxy. Your AppleTV is fooled to send connection request to their proxy instead of directly to netflix.com. They will relay it further to netflix, of course, just coming from their host (which has US-based IP address). This will camouflage your request as coming from US.
    Doing all this via simple change of DNS setup in your house makes this process very simple to you (you just need to change this one number), but requires more effort from the service provider's part.
    If the company providing this service can be trusted, then you should have nothing to worry about.

5. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey thank you so much for explaining this to me I understand it all now. Well person who is providing this is on that YouTube link. Feedback on that person seems all good and positive from other people. Also just checked on YouTube so many people are providing this kinda service. So it seems like it's all okay to me. But thanks for explaining in simple terms to me. :)

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

7. ibookster, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014