Changing domains (long)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by flat4, Jun 16, 2011.

1. flat4, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

flat4 macrumors member

I have used the google and have not had any luck and I have hosed one of my macbook pros. using 10.6

Background:
    Company has merge with a different company and we are in the middle of migrating users to the the new domain. This is a windows environment and we are using AD 2003. All of our macs were on the old domain and i created mobile accounts because they are laptops. So they could be used anywhere.

What took place:
    I unbinded them from the old domain and binded to to the new domain. No problems there.

Problem:
    When the user reboots or comes into work they are not able to login using there correct network logins. The window just shakes, if they unplug the network cable they are able to login (before the domain change they connected to the network using the cable at the office with no issues, just to clarify) after the login the can connect the network cable and they have access to everything on the computer and the network.

I have read several post with similar issues but i don't get parental controls issues or errors. I used the dscl command and deleted the user mobile account and everything went with it.

I have more users that have this issue and need to get fixed. Any help is welcomed.

Oh and the new domain is a xxxxx.local don't know if it matters.

2. flat4 thread starter macrumors member

3. Mactasia, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

Mactasia macrumors member

Mactasia

This could be one of two things that spring to mind (probably more likely 2 i'm afraid).

1) Try editing the auto_master file and see if this resolves the issue: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3346

2) Having a .local domain could well be your issue. I believe Apple's Bonjour service uses .local and this conflicts if your domain is the same. Maybe this will help?: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3248

4. flat4 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply but that only affects the laptop when its not connected to the network and it begins service on the new domain. I have a laptop that does this. It will fly thru the login at the office and when I take it home it can take up to 5 minutes to log in to the mobile account that was created with the new domain.

Back to the laptops that were on on the old domain and were moved to the new domain.

If another network user logs into the laptop while its connected to the network it will log in with no problems. The only error it does throw up is, "it cannot create mobile account /users/xxxuser" but it logins with no problems.

Its almost like it still trying to use the cache domain associated with the old domain. For users that had a mobile account created with the old domain. I think this is why it will login while not connected to the network. But it will not when its connected to the network, it checks with new xxx.local domain and then tries to verify with the mobile account domain which was xxxx.com.

If there was a way to edit the file that controls the mobile account to delete or replace xxx.com with xxx.local i bet it would fix the issues.

I hope that makes sense.

5. Mactasia macrumors member

Mactasia

Are you managing the Mobile accounts with Workgroup Manager?

I presume you have tried a freshly built laptop that has only ever connected to the new domain?

6. flat4 thread starter macrumors member

No,not using WM, we use AD.

Yes, a fresh install and joined to the domain works perfectly.

7. Mactasia macrumors member

Mactasia

You can still use WGM even if you have a AD accounts.

If freshly built Macs are OK, is it not viable to rebuild the affected ones? Or are there too many?!

8. flat4 thread starter macrumors member

at this point it looks like i am going to have to do that, we have very few mac systems. So this might be my only course.

i will read up on WMG and see how i can integrate.