changing file type associations

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by busterbluth, Oct 16, 2008.

1. busterbluth macrumors 6502

whats up everyone, i just bought my first mac! Im a PC user so I have a lot of questions but I'll try to keep this post short

I have a lot of AVI files that dont seem to play in quicktime. I downloaded a DIVX player and that seams to play them all fine. my issue is, how do I change the program association so that everytime I click on the avi file, DIVX opens up, and not quicktime? is there a better more universal player than DIVX (im sure there is) thanks guys, Its gonna take me a while to figure this all out, so Im sure Ill be posting a couple more times this week. Thanks to anyone who responds!!

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Okay, grab one, any one, of those AVI files. Select it and Get Info. Look down the list a bit to Open With and choose whatever application you want that will play AVI files.

Then, just underneath where you've done that, you should see Use this application to open all documents like this - and click Change All.

You're done. In future, when you 2x-click an AVI file, it should open with the application you chose.

And download VLC Player - it will play videos that have a variety of formats.

Oops, forgot. D'load Perian too. It will enable Quicktime to play formats that it otherwise wouldn't.

3. busterbluth thread starter macrumors 6502

your awsome, now i need to figure out how to download torrents...