Changing file types in snow leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mtumesoul, Apr 24, 2010.

1. mtumesoul macrumors newbie

hi friends,

i'm having a really hard time changing a file type -- for some reason my mac started identifying .sav files (which are SPSS data files) as "parallels VM state image" files (whatever those are).

the obvious don't work (e.g. in file info, changing "open with" -- even when i change that to SPSS, the file type at the top remains unchanged, and SPSS can't open the file...). i found some utilities online but they are for OS 9.0 and earlier.

any and all help much appreciated -- i'm desperate to get some work done this weekend!

:eek:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Do you have Parallels installed, or did you in the past? If you had it installed in the past but have since uninstalled it, the cause is probably an outdated Launch Services cache. This can be fixed like so: Rebuilding your Launch Services database

3. mtumesoul thread starter macrumors newbie

I still have it installed, so was thinking of holding off on rebuilding launch services...?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Rebuilding the cache should, at the very least, allow you to change the association to the desired program in the Finder. It won't do any harm.

5. mtumesoul thread starter macrumors newbie

Alas, I just rebuilt the cache, but same problem... any other ideas? :)

6. exoriare macrumors member

Which version of SPSS? I'm running 18 and I have the same issue with the type being Parallels VM state image. The SPSS icon has also disappeared and when you double-click the file it just opens Textedit. But I can still open the file by selecting it from the SPSS file menu and also by dragging it onto the SPSS icon in the dock. Are you saying you can't open ANY SPSS .sav files? I'm wondering if it's not an SPSS issue, rather than just a cache problem.

7. mtumesoul thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting! I have 16.0, and yes, i couldn't open any of my .sav files (same issue, they opened in textedit)... though oddly, i used to be able to, just by double clicking them. so i'll try what you suggest, but first need to reinstall SPSS (i uninstalled it yesterday wanting to reinstall and of course now can't find the registration key, argh!). and will also check if cache issues. but it's *really* good to know that someone else at least has the file type issue.

thanks! :)

8. exoriare macrumors member

You might want to try downloading the SPSS18 trial version from their website if you don't make any progress. You can use it for 30 days which should be long enough to find out if it's a 'version' problem, rather than a Mac, cache or whatever else issue.

9. kayrattray macrumors newbie

SPSS icon disappearing

I had the exact same problem with SPSS 18 after installing the patch but the new Parallels Desktop 6 just came out and I upgraded to it and all my SPSS .sav icons are back