Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralphh123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Hi all,

I just got a new Macbook, and have been loving being able to change the icons because of the beautiful hi res. However, I want to change the finder icon and have discovered that I cannot. I went into ~System/Library/CoreServices/Finder/Contents/Resources (opening the needed permissions) and changed the name of "Finder.ico" to "Saved Finder.ico" (just so I can have it if needed later). Then, I pasted the new icon into the Resources folder, the one that I wanted to replace the finder icon. I named it "finder.ico" and restarted my computer.

So, when I went back to ~System/Library/CoreServices and looked at the finder icon, it had changed - so far so good. But when I looked down at the dock, the icon was the same!

My overall question is: how can I change the finder icon in the dock, even when I've already changed the actual finder application icon?

Thanks for your time,
Ralph

invasian

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Houston
You are changing the wrong icon...for the dock icon, you need to replace the finder.png file found in the Dock contents folder.

"/System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/finder.png"

Ralphh123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Thank you both! I'm actually too cheap to buy candybar :p so I'll be using the dock.app folder. Thanks again, man, I'm really glad that I'll be able to do this. Does the icon I replace the original finder icon have to be a .png file?

JudasX

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2007
if your too cheap to pay for CandyBar, how about LiteIcon? It's virtually the same and it is freeware

Ralphh123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I've tried LiteIcon, but whenever I tried to replace the finder icon (the only one I couldn't do manually) it made the dock icon horrible quality. I'd just like to do this manually, anyway. It's a challenge.

Speaking of challenges:

I renamed "finder.png" to "Saved Finder.png" in ~System/Library/CoreServices/Dock/Contents/Resources. I replaced it with an icon that I named "finder.png". The icon used to be a .ico file, but that shouldn't matter. I restarted the Mac, but the finder icon in the dock remains the same, still. :(

Might there be a cache or something that I have to delete?

One thing to note: the "finder.ico" icon in ~System/Library/CoreServices/Finder/Contents/Resources is still the default image. You mentioned that that was the wrong icon to change if I wanted a change in the dock...but I was still wondering.

invasian

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Houston
it can't be an .icns file...it has to be a .png . you can open up the .icns file with preview and save it as a.png

always make backups.

Ralphh123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
it can't be an .icns file...it has to be a .png . you can open up the .icns file with preview and save it as a.png

always make backups.
I did that: I changed the icon, which was originally a .ico file, into a .png file. But for some reason, it doesn't affect my dock. It'd be great if someone with a lot of knowledge would help me out on this problem. No, I don't want to use Candybar, this is possible to do manually and I want to learn how!

Ralphh123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
there is a cache file that you also need to delete. it is called com.apple.dock.iconcache ...you can search for it as per this link which describes how to do all of this

http://justinlyman.com/node/5
Ah, thank you very much. I followed these instructions, and, actually, something rather scary happened. After typing killall Dock in Terminal, and resetting the dock, the finder icon was just... not there. It was gone, there was no icon at all. So, I must be doing something wrong.

Is dragging the icon cache into the trash enough, or must I actually empty the trash?

Thank you for the help, all.

invasian

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Houston
i would empty it and make sure that everything else is in order (like finder.png shouldn't be Finder.png etc.) the instructions on the link work as that is what i used

2ptwqh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.