changing finder window

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by headviking, Apr 20, 2013.

1. headviking macrumors member

Up until I updated to ML. I had an icon on the top of my screen with the ability to switch from one finder window to any other, up to four finder views. Does anyone know how to bring this feature back?

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you know, how that icon looked? Do you mean Exposé (System Preferences > Mission Control > uncheck Group windows by application)?
    Could it be a third party app, that got deleted due to the upgrade process you employed?

Software update, upgrade--what's the difference?

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Were you upgrading from Lion or an older version? I think you may be thinking about the "Spaces" multiple desktop feature that was in Leopard and Snow Leopard.

This has now been moved to be part of the Mission Control interface in Lion and Mountain Lion. Swipe up with four fingers on the trackpad or press the Expose key on your keyboard (it's the F3 key on mine). Or you could pin the Mission Control application icon to your dock for easy access.

Once you've activated Mission Control, You'll see some thumbnail images at the top labeled Dashboard and Desktop. If you move your mouse to the top right corner and click, it should create an additional Desktop.

Now you can switch between them either by clicking on them in the Mission Control screen or by swiping left and right with four fingers on the trackpad.

Here are some more tips for using multiple desktops with Mission Control:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1166873/inside_the_mysteries_of_mission_control.html

4. headviking thread starter macrumors member

That's the one. Spaces thanks. I guess I'll have to get used to the finger gestures instead. Thanks.

5. simsaladimbamba

You could look into TotalSpaces. It is not as fluid, but I use it quite often and can forget the pain OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion caused.