Changing folder icon

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Can someone please give me instructions on how to change the dropbox desktop folder icon. I've used candybar to change other icons but the dropbox folder isn't included there so I don't know how to change it. Thanks in advance

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
After logging out and back in I can briefly see the new icon but then it reverts to the original dropbox folder icon. Anyway to prevent them from happening?
I forgot that Dropbox changes the folder icon, based on the status. To change those, you'll have to modify the Dropbox.app.

First, make a copy of the Dropbox.app, in case you damage something.
Then go to /Applications/Dropbox.app, right-click and "Show Package Contents"
Then go to /Contents/Resources, where you'll see the various icons.
Replace those with your choices and save the .app.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I forgot that Dropbox changes the folder icon, based on the status. To change those, you'll have to modify the Dropbox.app.

First, make a copy of the Dropbox.app, in case you damage something.
Then go to /Applications/Dropbox.app, right-click and "Show Package Contents"
Then go to /Contents/Resources, where you'll see the various icons.
Replace those with your choices and save the .app.
I only want to change the dropbox folder icon, pictures folder icon inside that and the public folder inside that. How do I do that? There are .icns files inside for "DropboxFolderIcon_leopard" "DropboxFolderIcon" "public_leopard" "photos_leopard" but I'm not sure how to add the icon I want.

Last edited:

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
sorry you had to start a new thread 3bs, i had no idea it was that simple for dropbox, but i have done this before i started using candybar.