changing folder permissions within iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by eshroom, Nov 1, 2008.

1. eshroom macrumors 6502

I am without a laptop at the moment and need to change the permissions of a folder within the iPhone. Can anyone tell me how I could do this, I used mobilefinder to view permissions but am not given the option of changing them...
    Thanks

2. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Squid has this function but I have been unable to get the permissions to "stick" after I change them. I had to use SSH. You might give it a try though...might work for you. It's very easy to use too...

3. eshroom thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you have any idea where I can find squid? I tried the smxy source but it seems squid is not available on the intaller4 source, only the installer3 one...

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

5. eshroom thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help, I get the following error when I add you source though...
    "Unable to decode"

6. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Hmmm...sorry that didn't work. Let me offer another suggestion. Go to iappcat.com and create an account. You can then create your own repository and search for Squid (or anything else you want) and add it to your repo. The one I created is obviously not working but there are several sources you can try for Squid.

Hope this helps...

7. eshroom thread starter macrumors 6502

iappcat seems great, unfortunately though it has not been updated for installer 4. As a last ditch attempt, any idea where I may be able to find a copy of installer 3 to use instead, or as well?

8. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Just go to Boss Prefs, and "Fix User Permissions."

9. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Does that just automatically change permissions or does it allow you to go file by file and set permissions? I didn't want to just press the button without knowing how it works.

Thanks for the tip though...I didn't even think to look there!

10. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I've never had to use it before, but as I understand it, it automatically sets everything to read/ write.

I've seen other people post that solution for people who were needing one, and I've only seen positive results reported by the original posters.

What have you got to lose?

11. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Well, at this point, all my permissions are set where they need to be (I did it though WinSCP) so I don't want to alter them at this point. I might give it a shot next time I need to make changes though. Squid is a great little app...if only the permissions you set would "stick".

12. calvy macrumors 65816

Download mobile terminal and chmod or chown whatever you want? That's what I'd do.

13. svtguy08 macrumors member

you can use mobileFinder or iCommander. There both on Cydia :)

14. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Mobile Terminal is your answer..

from the prompt chmod 0755 filename

.. or

chmod -R 0755 directoryname