Changing Frame rates of Large video file

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Elevon, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Elevon macrumors regular

Hi,

Right now I have a set of large video files (mp4) each aprox. 5-10GB(!) and I would like to know if there are any good methods or softwares out there that I could use to lower the frame rates of the videos (also reduce the file sizes).

For those who are wondering why the files sizes are so big is because my brother wanted to create a time-lapse video of his drawing, therefore he recorded the hours of video 1080p, 25fps

We are now having a difficult time trying to modify the video clips with such high file size. I'm not too good at video editing myself, so if you guys know any good methods please share it to us!

Thanks

2. boch82 macrumors 6502

First off - 10gb for a hour long video file is not that big.....

But it sounds like you want to do a timelapse video, not reduce the frame rate.

The easiest program to do this in is after effects as you can easily do time remapping (which would speed up the footage).

If you want to do a time-lapse based on "still images" you can export a image of the video....take every (x) frame, then use automater to rename the pulls into a new image sequence...this is time consuming but will give a different effect then speeding the footage up.

You can achieve this in after effects as well by using expressions and such, but that will get very complicated if you are not well versed in the program.

3. Elevon thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much, I've got it completed :)
    our end result: