Changing from MB to MPB (Glossy screens differences between 13 AND 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by agdickinson, Jan 1, 2008.

1. agdickinson macrumors member

Hi,

I bought a MB (c2D) on 24th November 2007 at the Glasgow Apple store, and really enjoyed it until I noticed that the F10 key did not work and took it to a genius in the store who said it would be swapped out.

I took it in for a swap out with the box the following day on 28th December and 'asked if I could upgrade to a MBP' and the answer was 'YES'. So I got a MBP but now the Glossy vs. Matte is starting to "do my head in" and I'm wondering what to do.

I've booked an appointment at the Apple store in Glasgow with a GENIUS to see if I want to keep the Glossy, vs. swap it with a Matte. I was at my parents over new year and in the bedroom I stayed in the Glossy was pretty annoying with the lights shown from the lights in the room. I've had to have the brightness as 100% to get rid of it but have had headaches.

In the past I've had migraines due to computer use, as I've a degree is IT and have worked in the IT industry since 1993, so have had my fair share of Migraines. The Glossy seems to give me more headaches than usual and I was wondering if anyone else has had problems like this due to eye strain.

I'm heading to the Apple store in around 18 hours for an appointment with a Genius and am after some comments from people who have used it for more than 4 days or so.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew

p.s. My Glasses are in need of replacement (typical of an IT man YES :) ), so wondering if the 'scratched' glasses are causing the problem, rather than the Glossy vs. Matte issues....)

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Get the Matte, it's much better IMO.

I have a MacBook Pro (my own machine), and my dad has a MacBook, and we both agree the matte display is much better...

3. agdickinson thread starter macrumors member

Changing from MB to MPB (Glossy screens differences between 13 AND 15

Thanks for the reply.. :)

I've also noticed an odd issue with the MBP as it included a CPU update disk to Leopard. I've rebooted and the Num Lock and Caps lock lights are on but when typing they are not in which is a bit weird and disconcerting.

I'm typing this in the dark in my kitchen and the display is fine, but if I turn on the lights the glare is pretty annoying, so I guess the Matte is the way to go. It's weird as when I had the MB (c2d) it didn't appear to be a problem but I did get eye problems with fatigue so the Matte seems to be the best way to go.

My parents have a G5 Imac with a 20" display which is matte and I was using it earlier tonight (before heading up from Newcastle to Scotland where I live).

The Matte seems to be easier on the eyes. Am I right or is it what I'm used to?

I'm an IT Manager and my work PC is a Dell Latitude D620 with a Matte screen and I did not seem to have problems with it. I had a G5 powermac with a Sony 17" TFT with a Matte screen and didn't have any problems.

I recently bought an HP 22" TFT with a Glossy display and had headaches quite a bit using it. I thought it was the display but am now wondering....

I'm shortsighted and wear glasses much of the time so am wondering if the glossy display and glasses are too much for my eyes?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew

4. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Matter of opinion and preference, I hated my macbooks with glossy as I would get headaches, too reflective. However I now have my first glossy in my 17" and love it. I don't even notice it is glossy and nor does anyone else. I am not sure if the reason is the high res screen I have.

5. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

Before I got myself a MBP I was thinking quite alot about Matte vs Glossy.
    My uncle have the MacBook, and I really liked the glossy screen on it back then, so I decided to go for Glossy!

Now though, after using my MBP for 5 months I have to edmit that I am very very satisfied with it!
    No when I use a MacBook, I get really surprised about how much blur it actually has! It feels grey and boring, not so colourful (Spelling?)

The MacBook Pro Glossy screen is way, waay better than the MacBooks, I suggest you try it! (Btw, I've got the LED).

6. agdickinson thread starter macrumors member

Glossy screen on MB and MBP (Headaches)

Hi Thanks for the reply.

I'm wondering if the brightness of the display is part of the problem.

I used to have a Ti 667 Powerbook and never seemed to have any problems.

I decided on a Mb (due to cost to tell you the truth) when I sold my G5 powermac on Ebay. Due to the problems I've upgraded to a MBP with the glossy screen and am wondering if the 'glare' or whatever is making my eyes feel 'yuck'.

One thing I've noticed in the 3-4 days since I've had the MBP with the glossy display is the glare and also the annoying dust on the screen, which seems to be 'sticky' and getting rid of the dust is a pain, and the finger marks are annoying as 'blowing' over the display doesn't do much good.

I know due to the way Apple does displays that if I go to Matte it 'should... fingers.. crossed.. be.. okay.. but want to know what people think'.

My parents have a G5 iMac with a Matte display which I used earlier today as a comparison and the Matte seems to be easier on my eyes and more relaxing... What do you think?

I think part of the problem is spending £1300 on a new computer, albeit £470 is upgrading from a MB to MBP... Does the Glossy display make your eyes more tired from limited use... At the moment it's a 'YES', but am wondering if I will get 'used' to it. My current MBP is on around 55% brightness and it's a bit too much for my eyes and I'm starting to get a too much... On 100% brightness it's far too much for me, it's like looking at the Sun, but I suppose "credit due to Apple it's a complement to them that their displays are that 'good' ".

I'm used to the days of 'take it' or 'leave it' now with the glossy or matte it's a bit too much. Though matte seems to be easier on the eyes.

What do you think.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Cheers

Andrew

ps. When I make my decision I will not blame anyone :) so don't be afraid to comment.

Thanks

Andrew

7. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

8. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

If it's easier on your eyes then for sure get matte.

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

10. ZenErik macrumors 6502

I say matte. Glossy seems to strain the eyes more, in my experience.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The main reason that I do not own a black MB right now...the glossy screen. I wish there was a matte screen option for the black MB.

For me, glossy doesn't work. It gives me headaches.

It's a matte screen for me.

Definitely.

12. KJdanReuben macrumors regular

I've got the MBP with the LED matte display and love it. It is awesomely bright! I barely ever have mine on 100% brightness because it is so bright. The screen is gorgeous! The glossy MBP, however, is also gorgeous! I personally would go with matte because it doesn't show dust and prints, and there is no glare. At times, though, mine seems glossy, just with no glare. I had someone tell me the other day, "I didn't know you got the glossy screen." I've also never gotten a headache. Go matte!

13. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Glossy LOOKS great. However, I couldn't stand my glossy macbook pro (had it for about a week before returning it) because I would get reflections, glare, it made my head hurt. It looks nice sitting back but not using it for real things. Thats the same reason I ditched the macbook.

GO MATTE.

14. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

15. agdickinson thread starter macrumors member

Glossy on a MBP thinking of changing to a Matte

Hi,

I live in Scotland so I guess sunlight won't be too much of a problem for the next few months or so :)

I'm just wondering if the matte vs glossy thing is making go a bit silly. Though the my mom has an iMac G5 with a lovely matte screen and my work laptop (a Dell) has a Matte screen. The weird thing is I did not notice the glare when I had the C2D MB. I guess it's the two extra inches on the screen which probably make quite a bit of a difference.

I know this subject has probably been written about millions of times, but I'd still like personal feedback if that's okay.

At the end of the day a C2D 15" MBP is a lot of money and will hopefully be used for several years, so making the right choice is a good idea.....

Actually your not going to believe it but the glossy metal 'MacBook Pro' is starting to annoy me, as it is like a mirror.

I leaning towards Matte however. Now wondering if I should upgrade too and get a 2.4 with 256Mb Vram too... Decisions decisions... :(

Andrew

16. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

I'm all for the matte display. I noticed the same thing about the matte seeming almost glossy at times. It is easier on my eyes and there isn't any glare.

17. agdickinson thread starter macrumors member

Swapped the MBP Glossy for the Matte today :)

Hi,

Thanks for the advice and views.

I popped into the Glasgow Apple store today and had a chat with a Genius and had a Matte and Glossy MBP side by side for a few minutes and checked them out in the lights in the store. Also checked against black backgrounds.

The Glossy really shows off blacks well but the glare or reflections were a little annoying. We did a quick straw poll on some of the apple store staff who had MBP machines and they had Matte displays as they thought they attracted less dust and overall were easier on the eyes, and caused less eye strain with long usage.

Whilst a man next too me from Sweden came in with his glossy MBP and said he loved it.

At the end of the day's it's an individuals choice.

I'm now typing this on my new C2D MBP with a Matte screen and overall feel happier with it. The display is lovely and is as bright and clear as some of the Cinema displays in the Apple store.

I also succumbed to the 2.4 MBP with the 160Gb drive, as I plan on installing Parallels and Windows XP, so the extra 35Gb or so will come in useful for this.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

All the Best

Andrew