Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anaxamander

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2005
logich:

Excellent, thanks for the feedback.

shidoshi:

Okay, I see what you are doing. Adding quicktime mov support isn't something I'll be pursuing.

While mpeg4 and quicktime mov look similar, there are differences. Also, even if you edit the metadata tags in a quicktime mov, those changes aren't where iTunes (or AtomicParsley) sets tags in mp4 files. In the quicktime mov, changes are 1 atom level up and directly on the atom. The naming of these atoms follows the quicktime paradigm, which is slighty different than the mpeg4 naming scheme as well. The structure of the metadata itself is different as well: some text has every letter separated by hex 0x00, and then repeated without the null, most other times no repeat, but still null separated. iTunes mpeg4 metadata isn't like that - no null separators.

Secondly, while some information is stored in the file, some isn't. Try setting compilation on your reference movie, delete the file from iTunes, and re-add it. Is the compilation flag still on? No, because that isn't a standard quicktime atom, (it is a iTunes metadata atom for mpeg4 files- on another level; carried in mp3's on Apple's own TCMP id3v2 tag). In all likelyhood, mov doesn't support these new TV show atoms, just as it doesn't support compilation.

And lastly, egad does this reference movie slow iTunes down! It takes dedication to suffer through that slowdown.

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
shidoshi, try this:

Create a short (5-second) MPEG-4 video that can be tagged as described. Tag this 5-second clip with the episode information (show, season, episode #, etc.)

Once the iTunes database stores the information for your 5-second clip, locate the actual 5-second video file in your finder (or explorer), and delete it. Click get info in iTunes and an exclamation point appears next to your TV episode, because you just deleted it.

iTunes will ask if you want to manually locate the missing file. When it does, point it to your referenced .mov file. Your TV episode information will be retained and you can organize your files that way (at least this works in Windoze).

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
help

anaxamander,

i get an error message everytime i try to run atomic parsley... can you help? this is what happens after i paste the --genre "TV Show" --stik "TV Show" and hit return:

dyld: /Users/****/Desktop/AtomicParsley Undefined symbols:
/Users/****/Desktop/AtomicParsley undefined reference to _getopt_long_only expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
Trace/BPT trap

any ideas why this wont work for me?

anaxamander

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2005
Electro Funk said:
[snip] undefined reference to _getopt_long_only expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
Trace/BPT trap

any ideas why this wont work for me?

You aren't on Mac OS X 10.4 - getopt_long_only isn't in previous versions. Now while that can be easily changed to getopt_long, I have no idea what other functions are missing besides this one. See if this version helps any:

Edit, latest version is here: http://atomicparsley.sourceforge.net/

otherwise, it's Mac OS X 10.4 only.

shidoshi

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2004
anaxamander said:
And lastly, egad does this reference movie slow iTunes down! It takes dedication to suffer through that slowdown.

To be honest, 99% of the time I have no problem with slowdown when using reference movies. I've had it happen a few times, but for the most part, so far so good.

anaxamander

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2005
apunkrockmonk said:
I tried the new atomic parsley and now it just seems to hang while using 100% CPU.
Can you provide a small (2-5mb or so) sample that demonstrates this? Or what program you used to encode & the settings used? I can't fix it if I don't know where its getting stuck.

funnyguy0

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2005
I've made a patch for AtomicParsley 0.7.4 that will allow it to compile and run on Linux and Windows (presumably, if you have a POSIX env and g++ compiler). I see now why the file size issues are happening, I'll go back and see if I can modify it for 0.7.5a real quick.

Edit: It looks like anaxamander (pucklock) didn't send the source for 0.7.5a or 0.7.5b, only binaries. This patch applies to the CVS tree and the 0.7.4 release on SourceForge.

Attachments

• AtomicParsley-0.7.4-source-linux-patch.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 194

anaxamander

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2005
funnguy0, thank you very much! I've incorporated most of the patches.

http://members.verizon.net/pucklock/AP0.7.5c-src.zip

I'll do a cvs commit right after this (damn this sheer laziness of mine). This patch wouldn't compile with gcc4, so I left it as is:

AP_iconv.cpp:
result = iconv(frt, &asbptr, (size_t*) &len, &asaptr, (size_t*) &len1);
->error:
AP_iconv.cpp:55: error: invalid conversion from 'char**' to 'const char**'
AP_iconv.cpp:55: error: initializing argument 2 of 'size_t libiconv(void*, const char**, size_t*, char**, size_t*)'

In any event, that isn't really used yet. I had planned on adding atom creation direcly from the command line and needed this to get around utf8 © (which was 2 bytes) to ascii © (which was 1 byte).

So, if you have any more patches... or even a linux binary, that would be great too.

Thanks again.

funnyguy0

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2005
anaxamander said:
This patch wouldn't compile with gcc4, so I left it as is:

AP_iconv.cpp:
result = iconv(frt, &asbptr, (size_t*) &len, &asaptr, (size_t*) &len1);
->error:
AP_iconv.cpp:55: error: invalid conversion from 'char**' to 'const char**'
AP_iconv.cpp:55: error: initializing argument 2 of 'size_t libiconv(void*, const char**, size_t*, char**, size_t*)'

Ya, I thought that change was odd, because that cast should have caused an error in your code as well when compiled on OSX. But the problem isn't the compiler (i don't think), its the iconv library. It is incorporated in GNU libc6 and that is why there is no link to libiconv.

I'll post a libc6 binary shortly. I that will run on almost any newer distro. My build system is Debian 3.1 (Sarge).

funnyguy0

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2005
Here is a Linux libc6 binary. Anyone should be able to compile on Windows using Cygwin. However the Cygwin runtime would be required IIRC.

Edit: Premature, this segfaults. I'm going to recompile and run it thru GDB.

funnyguy0

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2005
igotgame1075 said:
well, if you guys can't get that version to work for windows, you could always try Videora.

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

Its extremely simple to use, and all you do is pick the video you want to convert and press the convert button.

Videora is only a a front end to ffmepg which is an mpeg encoder. It doesn't have relevance to this topic as this topic deals with taging the file as a TV Show, not creating a valid iPod video.

Additionally, you will find that Videora will get audio out of sync a lot because ffmpeg does not support 1/1000ths of a second frame rates which some videos are encoded at.

anaxamander

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2005
apunkrockmonk, excellent. I put in a progress bar just in case people got nervous about not having any feedback too. For a 200MB video file, its a bit of a wait (which wasn't a problem with a 10MB audio file).

funnyguy0:

I'm in the middle of installing FedoraCore2 (yeah, I know it's old, but I have it already), to see if there will be any endian issues (I think there might be), and test it on samples there. It's all under emulation though. 3 hours later I'm almost done installing.

I tried to compile AtomicParsley in Win98SE under emulation as well using mingw/minsys - that didn't go so well. I must not have installed it properly - when I tried to compile, it couldn't even find malloc & strlen. So I gave up on that. By comparison, FC2 should be a breeze.

edit:
Not so breezy. Scratch FC2 - Microshaft's VirtualPC has an instruction error decompressing the kernel image. Onto... something else. Odd because I have installed FC1 fine.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
anaxamander said:
I tried to compile AtomicParsley in Win98SE under emulation as well using mingw/minsys - that didn't go so well. I must not have installed it properly.
I may give it a try to port it to the free MS C/C++ framework if that's OK by you.

B

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2005
anaxamander,

how does one add to Show, Season and Description? My TV Shows finally show up under TV Show (thanks for that).

Edit: Nevermind... I should have read your primer.

Thanks,
Eric

anaxamander

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2005
balamw said:
I may give it a try to port it to the free MS C/C++ framework if that's OK by you.

As long as you abide by the GPL (meaning, you can change it for your personal use; however if you distribute it to others, the source has to be available), I'm fine with it.

This may help, maybe not, but see the bottom of this: http://atomicparsley.sourceforge.net/changelog.html
for a crude broken mingw binary. Man, I seem to own a Mac to compile for other platforms lately.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
anaxamander said:
As long as you abide by the GPL (meaning, you can change it for your personal use; however if you distribute it to others, the source has to be available), I'm fine with it.
Absolutely! I'll give it a whirl.

EDIT: No joy after a short try, but this could help with your mingw efforts, as it seemed to only be wanting _mingw.h.... http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libgw32c.htm

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.