Changing from white to black...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acfusion29, Aug 19, 2008.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

So I have a 16gb white iPhone and it has a couple of cracks on it. Week 30, bought it last Wednesday from Rogers. I went back to the store and they said they were unable to replace it and that I had to call in Rogers and they would send a replacement.

So I did, and the lady said that she would set it up for me. I then told her that I have seen a lot of white iPhone's that are cracked, pics online and friends, and asked if she could send me a black instead of white and she said no.

I have an appointment with the Genius bar today, and I'm wondering if the genius will be able to do me a favour? I really don't want to come back every week because I've developed cracks.

If anyone else had a similar experience, please share.

Thanks.

2. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

I made precisely this request today, and it was denied. In fact, they denied that there were problems with whites and cracks, and assured me that they would replace it if it developed cracks. Funny, about 2 minutes later another genius who had overheard part of our conversation came over and said that all of the cracks were due to people dropping/mishandling their phones. So I guess the final result is that if you develop cracks they will claim it was your faulty and refuse to exchange

3. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Well, that's interesting... which Apple store did you go to?

Aside from that, now my phone says No Service. I did a full restore and didn't restore it from backup. :mad: On top of that, I have a lot of dropped calls, and dust under the screen. So if he's willing to replace, I guess I can ask. If not, then I'll trade with someone.

4. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

a lot of that has to do with the particular genius. i went into my local store with a light leak problem and had to almost throw down with the genius to get him to replace it, and the replacement had the same problem. i went to a different store a little later, showed that genius the problem and he replaced it without blinking.

like life, the genius bar has its share of ******s. but, out of many, many trips to the genius bar, i've only had one bad experience versus countless great ones.

moral of the story: if you don't like what you're hearing from one genius, try with another before you give up.

5. odp1979 macrumors member

odp1979

I was able to replace my white one for a black one no problems, or questions asked. Probably depends on your particular "genius". I really hate that name, they are not genius's in my book.

6. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Not anymore. I used to know some really knowledgeable people there but I haven't found a true "genius". Fact is you don't need to know UNIX back and forth and the inner workings of a macbook to answer why my system is showing a frowny face.

And, I think it would be no problem to exchange color "while they are at it."

7. joebokeh macrumors member

8. crazyyankeefan macrumors regular

First thing you should know is: just because it's black, doesn't mean it won't crack.
    You should keep that in mind that the black iphone uses exactly the same material as the white one. You just can't see the cracks because it's black. So I'd suggest you just go with whatever color you like and keep it.
    Eventually the phone itself will wear over time. I personally don't think it's very to keep exchanging phones just in order to get a "perfect phone", which might eventually wear someday too. You should know that it's very bad for the environment.

9. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I understand that both the white and black crack, it's just that it's really hard to spot it on the black iPhone, which I'm fine with... I don't want my white iPhone to have all these small black lines on it, looks stupid.