Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mscice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Hi all, I have spend lots of time trying to change my gmail app notification sound and I cant find it? anyone know how to do it?

I know Mail app works fine via settings but Gmail uses some other sound i cant find anywhere to change it?

any help much appreciated

mscice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Thanks for reply, but Im using Gmail app not the built in mail app ...

mscice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
I only have sound ON /Off there i cant specify what sound ... :(

is it a bug?

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
I only have sound ON /Off there i cant specify what sound ... :(

is it a bug?

Nope not a bug.. It depends on the developer to let u change the sound or not.. Kind off like whatsapp lets u select, but Facebook messaenger doesn't

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
I have been complaining about this to Google for the last 2 years. The only way I have found to change it is if you jailbreak.

mscice

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
I have been complaining about this to Google for the last 2 years. The only way I have found to change it is if you jailbreak.

only reason why im using their app is cause of push messages ... mail app does not do push with gmail

Furry.Marsupial

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2014
Melbourne,Australia
Me again.

This intrigued me so i Googled the "undocumented feature"

Seems that if you set up your account in the Mail App and assign a sound it will carry through to the Gmail App.

You just don't use the Mail App so the mail doesn't download. I haven't tried it as Gmail pushes to mail for me and always has. Maybe a carry over from the Exchange days as I have had four iPads

Seems a really messy way to do it but there are claims it works.

Maybe worth a try.

Colin

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I use the Gmail app for push notifications and also set up Gmail in the Mail app but the sound I chose does not carry over. I've sent multiple feedback requests to Google to allow changing the sound. I'd also like the option to turn off multiple line preview on the lock screen but that feedback has gone into a black hole also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.