Changing hard disk

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CarolaAruguete, Sep 9, 2014.

1. CarolaAruguete macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm thinking about changing the hard disk of my IMAC (Apple iMAC ME088E/A ultrathin design 27" LED-backlit widescreen display)from 1T to 3T.
    It is a good idea, is it possible?
    Thank you very much

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Unless you want to void the warranty by taking apart the screen and possibly damaging it (quite likely)...

3. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Are you very familiar of how to replace an iMac component? If not, use an external USB 3T HDD sounds like a better choice.

4. stjames70 macrumors member

TB Enclosure

Better yet, get a TB RAID enclosure. Very fast and very easy to replace if you set up a RAID 1+0. Single drive failures can be easily corrected by replacing the failed drives. It is highly unlikely that you would ever have a total loss of data with a RAID 1+0 -- of course, you could be very unlucky and have two of the drives that mirror each other on the array fail at the same time.
    The only drawback is initial cost, but otherwise, you could get something like a Pegasus R4, R6, or R8, have lots of redundancy, lots of space, and lots of speed.
    I have a 1st gen R6 with six 2TB drives, and the data has survived two drive failures in the three years I have owned it. I have a 1.15TB and growing iPhoto library (with lots of AVCHD movies), and it is nice to be able to navigate through that library quickly.

SSD's would be nice to have, but with a RAID array, you can replicate SSD speeds at a much lower cost and greater reliability (vs. a single SSD drive)