Changing Hard Drive Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teerexx52, Jul 18, 2009.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Can anyone tell me if I can put a Hard drive from a 2008 15" MacBook Pro directly into a new June 2009 13" MacBook pro without erasing the drive and reinstalling OSX

2. lavinci macrumors 6502

If they are the same size (2.5" which is common amongst all laptops), then yes. I'm not so sure about the non-reinstallation though.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You can. I moved my hard drive straight from my white MacBook to the Unibody one, and it was fine. I do suggest to do reinstall and the restore from a time machine backup anyway. Because you want to have all the correct drivers and stuff for the new machine that might not already be included because the hard drive was used in a different computer.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It should be fine as long as OS X is up to date.

5. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

OK. Thanks for the replies everyone. So, if I am understanding correctly just make the switch. OSX is up to date. Should I do a full time machine install? Thoughts?

6. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I think you may be right on this. It could be missing some drivers possibly?

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Yes, especially with things like the new trackpad and different ports etc.

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Your initial question was whether or not you could just pull your drive and put it in the new machine - to that question, yes you can. You could also do a time machine restore as well. Time Machine would be easier and require less "surgery." I'd probably try the Time Machine approach, and if I encountered any errors, I'd just swap drives.

9. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Thanks everyone

10. Z06jerry macrumors regular

jmann is correct, You have to re-install the OS from the new disks that came with your new computer or you will have problems because you will be missing drivers. You can only swap the hard drive between machines that are identical hardware. If you have already swapped the drive just re-install the OS from the new disk that came with your new computer.