Changing hard drive in MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrochester, Nov 18, 2009.

1. mrochester macrumors 65816

Hi all

A friend has just got a MacBook Pro and we are trying to chaging the stock 250GB drive with an SSD she's bought seperately. However, the problem is, the 250GB drive supplied with the Mac has 4 screws in the side of it that we cannot remove that the instruction booklet says to remove and install on the new drive prior to fitting it into the machine. What I want to know is, how do you remove these 4 screws, and why does the booklet tell you to just remove them without any information or tool to remove them? They aren't normally screws as my Philips head screwdriver doesn't work in them.

Many thanks

Michael.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The tool you need is called a Torx screwdriver and is in any tool kit for folks that take computers apart. Radio Shack has them. Try Google searches before posting. Most of the links below are MR posts.

http://www.google.com/search?client...hange+hd+in+'09+macbook+pro&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Dale

4. mrochester thread starter macrumors 65816

I've built a bucket load of computers in my time, but this is the first time I've come across one that uses torx screws. Everything else uses philips. The manual even explains what all the other screws are (philips) but fails to tell you that the hard drive screws are torx!

5. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Didn't you know that you aren't supposed to ask questions in a forum? ;)

I am waiting for someone in the market to yell out "why don't you Google it?" when I ask about the price of a non labeled item.