Changing hard drives in MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by enzojauregui, Jul 1, 2012.

1. enzojauregui macrumors member

Hi guys! i have a late 2008 mbp, and i plan to install a new ssd to improve how it performs. i just want to ask if there are any important things to keep in mind. id be installing snow leopard for the os. also is there a way to completely wipe off the old hard drive before installing the new one. i dont have any of those sata to usb connectors.

thanks guys!

2. simsaladimbamba

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

An external enclosure for a 2.5" S-ATA HDD costs 10 to 20 € if you only need USB 2.0 as interface. Think of it as an investment for using the old HDD as back up medium, if you don't have a backup system yet.

If you don't want to use an external enclosure, you can use the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD to perform a Clean Install and set the Security Options to Zero Out Data in the Erase tab of Disk Utility.
    To create a Clean Install (formerly known as Erase & Install) of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (the 29 USD Upgrade DVD is a fully working retail version of Mac OS X and does not need a prior installation of Mac OS X on the Mac), follow one of the following guides:

3. enzojauregui thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the quick reply!